A Houthi missile intercepted over the southern Red Sea and a rocket launched from a Shia militia base in western Iraq tested the day-old Iran-Israel ceasefire on Thursday, but all signatories to the Islamabad framework moved swiftly to condemn the strikes and reaffirm that the truce remained in force.

The two incidents, separated by roughly seven hours and more than 1,500 miles, were the first known violations since the cessation of hostilities took effect at midnight GMT on April 15. Neither caused casualties or significant damage, and senior officials in Washington, Tehran and Jerusalem treated them as the work of factions operating outside the chain of command that produced the deal.

“The ceasefire is intact. It is being tested, as we knew it would be, but it is intact,” said State Department spokesperson Caroline Whitaker at an unscheduled morning briefing. “Sporadic acts by non-state actors will not be allowed to dictate the trajectory of this agreement.”

The first incident occurred shortly before 4 a.m. local time, when a ballistic missile fired from territory in northern Yemen was tracked by a U.S. Navy destroyer escorting a commercial convoy through the Bab el-Mandeb strait. The destroyer’s air-defense system engaged the missile at altitude, and debris fell harmlessly into the sea, U.S. Central Command said in a statement. A second projectile launched minutes later failed in flight, according to two defense officials briefed on the engagement.

A Houthi spokesperson in Sanaa, Mohammed al-Bukhaiti, said in a television appearance that the launches were carried out “in solidarity with the Palestinian people” and not, he insisted, in violation of the Islamabad accord, to which the Houthi leadership is not formally a party. The remarks were notable for what they did not say: Bukhaiti stopped short of pledging further attacks and did not endorse the broader Iranian war effort by name.

The Iranian foreign ministry, in a statement issued from Tehran shortly after dawn, distanced the Islamic Republic from the Yemeni launch and said that “any actor seeking to undermine the cessation of hostilities does so against the express wishes of the Iranian government.” Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, speaking to reporters before boarding a flight to Doha for prisoner-exchange talks, called the Houthi action “reckless” and said Tehran had communicated its displeasure through intermediaries.

The second incident unfolded just after 11 a.m. local time, when a single Fajr-5 rocket was fired from agricultural land near Al-Qaim, in Iraq’s Anbar province, toward a U.S. logistics outpost in eastern Syria. The rocket fell short by roughly four kilometers, landing in open desert. No group immediately claimed responsibility, though Iraqi security sources told reporters in Baghdad they suspected a splinter faction of Kataib Hezbollah operating without sanction from the militia’s senior leadership.

Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani issued a sharply worded condemnation within two hours, ordering Iraqi federal police and the Popular Mobilization Forces directorate to identify those responsible. “Iraq will not be a launchpad for the sabotage of a regional peace that our people fought to bring about,” Sudani said in a televised address. Iraqi forces were reported to have raided two suspected sites near Al-Qaim by late afternoon.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office issued a measured response, condemning both strikes but explicitly affirming that Israel would not retaliate so long as the broader ceasefire architecture held. “The State of Israel reserves all rights of self-defense, but will not be drawn into a cycle that serves only the enemies of peace,” the statement read. A senior Israeli defense official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the Israel Defense Forces had been instructed to maintain a “posture of restraint, not retreat.”

The composure of the response on all sides reflected what diplomats described as a deliberate decision, taken in the final days of the Islamabad talks, to build a tolerance for “spoiler attacks” into the ceasefire’s early architecture. Under the framework, isolated strikes by non-signatory actors trigger a 48-hour consultation window rather than an automatic resumption of hostilities.

“This is exactly the design working as intended,” said Layla Hassan, a Beirut-based regional analyst at the Levant Policy Institute. “The hard part of any ceasefire is not the first hour. It’s the first week, when factions that lost influence in the deal try to claw it back. The fact that Tehran publicly distanced itself from the Houthi launch is, frankly, the most encouraging signal of the day.”

Markets, which had risen sharply on Wednesday following the ceasefire’s entry into force, wobbled briefly on news of the Red Sea engagement before recovering. Brent crude, which had closed at $103.40 on Wednesday, spiked to $106.20 in early Asian trading before settling back to $103.90 by the New York open. The S&P 500 opened flat.

United Nations observers, the first contingent of whom were deployed to monitoring stations along the Strait of Hormuz on Wednesday afternoon, were expected to expand their presence in the coming days. Secretary-General António Guterres, in a statement from New York, urged “every actor with influence” to use it to prevent further violations.

Behind the scenes, U.S. officials said back-channel communications with Tehran, mediated by Oman, had continued through the night. A senior administration official, briefing reporters under standard ground rules, said the prisoner exchange scheduled for April 18 in Doha remained on track and that no party had signaled an intent to delay.

The official said additional confidence-building measures, including expanded UN monitoring of Iraqi militia sites and a possible Saudi-led naval coordination cell in the Red Sea, would be discussed in follow-on meetings in Islamabad next week.