Dialysis and Cancer Patients Trapped Inside Iran as Medical Evacuation Corridors Stall
5 min read, word count: 1076GENEVA — An estimated 38,000 dialysis patients and tens of thousands of cancer, transplant and ventilator-dependent patients inside Iran have gone weeks without reliable treatment, the World Health Organization said Saturday, warning that a proposed network of medical-evacuation corridors to Turkey, Armenia and Oman remained stalled six weeks into the war and that mortality among chronic-illness patients was beginning to rise sharply.
In a four-page update circulated to member states from WHO’s Eastern Mediterranean regional office in Cairo and confirmed at a Geneva briefing, the agency said that 14 of Iran’s 31 provinces were reporting “severe or critical” shortages of imported chemotherapy agents, immunosuppressants and dialysis consumables, and that rolling power cuts had forced more than 200 hemodialysis units to ration treatment to two sessions a week instead of the medically required three. International transplant patients, whose anti-rejection regimens cannot be interrupted, were the most acutely exposed category, the report said, followed by pediatric oncology cases at Mahak Children’s Hospital in Tehran and at provincial centers in Mashhad, Shiraz and Tabriz.
“These are people whose deaths will not be in the daily strike count and will not be on anyone’s screen,” said Hanan Balkhy, WHO’s regional director for the Eastern Mediterranean, who briefed reporters by video link from Cairo. “They are the second war, and they are losing it quietly.”
The agency’s appeal, first floated at the failed Geneva pledging conference on April 6 and reissued Saturday, calls for the establishment of three monitored medical-evacuation corridors: a northern route from Tabriz across the Iran-Turkey border at Bazargan toward facilities in Van and Erzurum; a northwestern route through Nordooz into southern Armenia, where Yerevan has offered 400 hospital beds; and a southern air corridor from Bandar Abbas to Muscat, where the Royal Hospital and Sultan Qaboos University Hospital have offered to take complex cases including pediatric oncology and post-transplant patients.
None of the three corridors has so far become operational. Iranian and Israeli officials have separately raised concerns about the security and verification arrangements, and U.S. officials have said publicly that any corridor must guarantee no dual-use cargo travels under medical cover. A senior State Department official, speaking on condition of anonymity because the discussions were continuing, said Washington was “supportive in principle” of WHO-administered corridors but that the agency had not yet provided “the kind of monitoring blueprint that would let us not object.”
The Iranian Red Crescent Society, which would handle patient identification and triage inside Iran, said Saturday that it had registered 11,400 patients meeting WHO’s chronic-condition evacuation criteria, of whom roughly 2,200 were classified as Priority One — meaning likely to die within 30 days without treatment outside the country. Of those, the society said, 640 were children.
“We are not asking anyone to take a side. We are asking everyone to let a kidney patient onto a bus,” Iranian Red Crescent president Pir-Hossein Kolivand told the state-run IRNA agency in remarks carried by Iranian television Saturday evening. “If the answer is no, then say it is no. The patients are listening.”
The medical crisis has been compounded by the wider supply collapse documented over the past three weeks. International sanctions on Iran’s banking sector, which have remained in place despite repeated humanitarian carve-out requests, have complicated the import of medical isotopes used in cancer diagnostics. Iran’s domestic production of dialysis filters, which normally covers roughly 60 percent of demand, has fallen below 20 percent because of damage to the petrochemical plants at Bandar Imam and to a polymer facility outside Isfahan struck in early April, according to a joint assessment by Doctors Without Borders and the Norwegian Refugee Council.
“The thing about a kidney is it does not care about geopolitics,” said Dr. Mariam Khalilzad, a Tehran-trained nephrologist now working with Doctors Without Borders in Erbil and coordinating remote case conferences with Iranian colleagues over an encrypted messaging app. “If you give a patient two sessions a week instead of three for six weeks, you do not get an angry patient. You get a dead patient. We are now at six weeks.”
Turkey has indicated it would accept up to 1,500 chronic patients across facilities in Van, Erzurum and Diyarbakir, and the Turkish health ministry has pre-positioned dialysis equipment at the Bazargan crossing. Armenia has said it would waive visa requirements for accompanying family members. Oman, according to a Gulf diplomat briefed on the arrangement, has allocated a dedicated medevac wing at the Royal Hospital and asked the Sultanate’s air force to coordinate flight paths that avoid contested airspace.
Israel, whose air campaign has not directly targeted Iranian medical infrastructure but whose strikes on power and petrochemical sites have indirectly degraded it, has said it would not interfere with WHO-administered medical corridors provided the agency could verify the absence of dual-use materials. Israeli officials have publicly endorsed the southern Oman air corridor in particular, which would not require ground transit through contested territory.
“Israel does not have an interest in a dialysis patient in Mashhad dying,” an Israeli foreign ministry spokesperson said in a written statement to MetaCurrents. “We have an interest in verifying that what travels under the WHO flag is what the WHO says it is.”
WHO officials said they expected to present an updated monitoring framework to the parties early next week, with the agency proposing to lead inspections at the three crossings under the supervision of the IAEA and the International Committee of the Red Cross.
Inside Iran, the human texture of the crisis surfaced in scattered reports gathered by aid organizations through diaspora networks. A 14-year-old leukemia patient in Tabriz, identified only as Sara by relatives speaking to Doctors Without Borders, has had three rounds of chemotherapy postponed since March 12. A 71-year-old retired schoolteacher in Karaj, on dialysis for 11 years, told relatives in Toronto by a brief phone call Friday that his treatment had been reduced to a single weekly session and that he no longer had the energy to walk to the clinic.
“He told us he was not afraid,” his daughter, Soraya Ahmadian, said in a telephone interview. “He told us he was tired. That is the word he used. Tired.”
WHO said it would brief the U.N. Security Council on Tuesday and that the agency was prepared to begin operating any of the three corridors within 96 hours of the parties agreeing terms. Officials said additional steps, including a formal proposal to the Islamabad mediators, would be announced in the coming days.
Note: This article was partially constructed using data from LLM.