West African leaders meeting in Abuja on Friday imposed a fresh round of financial restrictions on Burkina Faso's military government and demanded a credible transition timetable within 90 days, hours after the last French logistics personnel departed a former staging base in the country's north. The twin developments mark one of the sharpest diplomatic ruptures in the Sahel since the regional bloc first suspended Ouagadougou two years ago.

The Economic Community of West African States, known as ECOWAS, said the new measures would freeze the assets of 17 senior figures in the ruling junta, restrict correspondent banking ties with two state-linked Burkinabé lenders, and bar non-humanitarian regional transfers above $50,000 without bloc approval. The communiqué, issued after a six-hour session of foreign ministers, fell short of the full trade embargo some member states had floated earlier in the week but went further than diplomats in the Nigerian capital had predicted only days ago.

"The patience of the region has limits, and those limits have been tested," ECOWAS Commission President Omar Touray told reporters after the meeting. "We have offered dialogue. We continue to offer dialogue. But dialogue cannot substitute for a clear, dated path back to constitutional order."

Burkina Faso's transitional president, Capt. Ibrahim Traoré, has ruled the country since a 2022 coup and has repeatedly pushed back elections, most recently in February when his government cited the deteriorating security situation in the north and east. The junta has deepened ties with Russia and, increasingly, with Iran and Turkey, while accelerating its break with traditional Western partners. Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger formally exited ECOWAS last year to form the Alliance of Sahel States, though parts of the regional bloc's financial architecture still bind them.

In a statement broadcast on state television Friday evening, the Burkinabé Foreign Ministry called the sanctions "an act of economic aggression dictated from outside the continent" and said the country would respond with measures of its own, without specifying them. The ministry's spokesman, Aboubakar Konfé, accused unnamed Western governments of "using ECOWAS as a glove" and said the bloc's decision would "only deepen the resolve of the Burkinabé people."

French withdrawal completes

The diplomatic move came against the backdrop of the final French departure. A C-130 carrying 42 logistics and signals personnel lifted off from a refueling point near Dori shortly after dawn, according to two European defense officials, completing a drawdown that began in 2023 and had been stalled by negotiations over equipment transfers. France had maintained a small residual footprint long after the bulk of Operation Barkhane wound down, primarily to support the recovery of materiel and to keep limited communications infrastructure functioning.

"The page is turned," French Armed Forces Minister Sébastien Lecornu said in a brief statement in Paris. He offered no comment on the ECOWAS sanctions package. French officials privately have spent months trying to avoid a public link between the troop pullout and bloc-level penalties, fearing it would reinforce the junta's narrative of foreign interference.

Camille Doucet, a Sahel specialist at the Institut français des relations internationales, said the symbolism was unavoidable regardless of how Paris timed it. "For a generation of officers in Ouagadougou and Bamako, today closes a chapter that began in 2013," she said. "Whether it opens a more stable one depends almost entirely on choices being made in Moscow, Tehran and Ankara — not in Brussels or Paris."

Security picture darkens

The diplomatic shifts unfold as the security situation in the central Sahel continues to worsen. According to the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project, fatalities from jihadist violence in Burkina Faso rose roughly 18 percent in the first quarter of 2026 over the same period a year earlier, with the JNIM coalition and an Islamic State affiliate contesting wide stretches of the north, east and Boucle du Mouhoun. Aid agencies estimate more than 2.3 million people are internally displaced.

A senior United Nations humanitarian official, speaking on condition of anonymity because she was not authorized to discuss the sanctions publicly, said the carve-outs in Friday's package would help but were unlikely to insulate civilian programming entirely. "Every additional banking step adds friction," she said. "Friction means food deliveries arriving in May instead of April. In the north, that is the difference between a clinic operating and a clinic closing."

Nigeria's foreign minister, Yusuf Tuggar, who chaired Friday's session, said ECOWAS had taken pains to preserve humanitarian channels and would convene a technical working group with the World Food Program and the International Committee of the Red Cross next week. He acknowledged, however, that the bloc's leverage was diminished by the formation of the rival Sahel alliance and by what he called "the new geometry of partners" the junta has cultivated.

Wider regional implications

Diplomats said the timing of the package was shaped in part by the relative calm in the Middle East following this week's Iran-Israel ceasefire, which has freed bandwidth at major Western foreign ministries that had been almost wholly consumed by the Gulf crisis for six weeks. Two European officials said discussions with Washington about a coordinated response to the Sahel had restarted only on Tuesday, after the ceasefire took hold.

Senegalese President Bassirou Diomaye Faye, whose government has positioned itself as a bridge between ECOWAS and the breakaway states, warned that without parallel offers, sanctions risked entrenching the rupture. "Pressure without a door is a wall," he said in remarks in Dakar on Friday. He proposed convening a separate technical meeting with Bamako, Niamey and Ouagadougou on cross-border trade in May, regardless of the political dispute.

In Ouagadougou, the immediate public reaction was muted. State television broadcast loops of Capt. Traoré meeting with farmers in the southwest; small pro-government rallies were reported in the capital's Place de la Révolution but drew thinner crowds than similar events last year, according to a Western diplomat present. Markets in the city operated normally, though traders said remittance flows from Côte d'Ivoire had slowed noticeably since midweek in anticipation of the sanctions.

ECOWAS officials said implementation guidance would be issued to member-state central banks within ten days, and a review of the measures was scheduled for July. Touray, the commission president, said additional steps would be announced "if and as necessary," and that the bloc remained "open at any hour" to talks with the junta on a transition timetable.