European capitals raced on Monday to rebuild bandwidth for Ukraine, with foreign and defense ministers across the continent pushing through a backlog of delayed decisions on munitions, financing and air defense as Russian forces intensified pressure along a roughly 40-kilometer stretch of the eastern Donbas. The flurry of activity, the most concentrated since early March, reflected what one senior European diplomat called "six weeks of attention deficit" caused by the Iran war and its diplomatic aftermath.

The Iran-Israel ceasefire, brokered in Islamabad and in effect since April 15, has held into its sixth day despite isolated violations from Yemen and Iraq. With Western foreign ministries no longer running emergency cells around the clock, officials in Brussels, Berlin, Paris and Warsaw said the immediate task was to push through paperwork that had been queued behind Gulf crisis files since early March — including the next tranche of the European Peace Facility for Ukraine, a delayed Czech-led artillery shell procurement round, and a Franco-German plan to lease air-defense radar to Kyiv.

"For six weeks, every working-level conversation in this building began and ended with Hormuz," European External Action Service spokesperson Peter Stano told reporters in Brussels. "That does not mean Ukraine was forgotten. It does mean Ukraine was on a slower clock. Today, that clock speeds up again."

Russian pressure builds in the east

The pivot comes as Russian forces have stepped up assaults along the Pokrovsk and Chasiv Yar axes in recent days, deploying glide-bomb strikes at a pace Ukrainian commanders said was the highest since February. The Ukrainian General Staff reported 184 combat engagements over the 24 hours ending Monday morning, with the heaviest fighting near the village of Toretsk and along approaches to Kostiantynivka. Western analysts said the tempo was consistent with a long-telegraphed spring effort to consolidate gains in the eastern Donetsk region before summer mud and heat slow operations.

"This is not a breakthrough push, it's a grinding push," said Marta Kepe, a Europe defense analyst at a London-based research institute. "Moscow is trying to maximize territorial gains while Western attention is still half-turned toward the Gulf. The risk for Kyiv is not that any single town falls in April. The risk is the cumulative effect of two months of incremental losses while supply pipelines were running thin."

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy, in his nightly address Sunday, pointedly thanked European capitals for "reopening the channels" and said Ukrainian air-defense interceptor stocks had reached "critical" levels during the Iran war, when several U.S. and European Patriot batteries originally earmarked for Kyiv were diverted to protect Gulf positions. U.S. officials have not publicly confirmed the diversions but have not disputed Ukrainian accounts.

Brussels backlog

At a hastily added session of EU ambassadors in Brussels on Monday afternoon, member states were expected to clear a long-delayed seventh tranche of the European Peace Facility worth roughly 1.4 billion euros, according to two diplomats familiar with the agenda. The tranche, originally scheduled for a March 10 decision, had been pulled twice as ministers focused on Iran-related sanctions enforcement and Gulf evacuation coordination.

Separately, Czech Foreign Minister Jan Lipavský told reporters in Prague that the next procurement cycle of the Czech-led artillery shell initiative would close commitments this week, with Denmark, the Netherlands and Belgium expected to top up pledges. "The pipeline never stopped," he said. "What stopped was attention. Today, attention returns."

In Berlin, the Bundestag's defense committee scheduled an emergency hearing for Wednesday on a delayed delivery of IRIS-T air-defense systems to Ukraine, after Defense Minister Boris Pistorius confirmed Monday that two units originally bound for Kyiv had been re-routed to a German contingent supporting Gulf air defense at the height of the Iran war. Pistorius said the systems would now ship to Ukraine "within weeks" and that Berlin would accelerate a separate order.

Washington's posture

The European push unfolds against a more ambivalent Washington backdrop. The Trump administration has signaled it intends to keep Ukraine assistance flowing but has resisted moving any supplemental package separately from broader negotiations over reconstruction funding for the Gulf. A senior administration official, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations, said the White House view was that "Europe is the right anchor for the Ukraine file right now" and that U.S. priorities in the coming weeks would be Iran ceasefire monitoring and oil-market stabilization.

House Speaker Mike Johnson, asked Sunday on a network talk show whether a stand-alone Ukraine package was possible before Memorial Day, said only that "everything is on the table" and "we are going to get the Iran supplemental done first." Senate Democrats, including Foreign Relations ranking member Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, have pressed for a combined package that would pair Iran reconstruction with Ukraine military aid, but no formal text has surfaced.

European officials said they had quietly assumed for weeks that the U.S. timeline would slip into May or June and had begun structuring their own packages to be "bridge-able" — that is, designed to cover Ukrainian needs for 60 to 90 days without relying on new American funding. "We can carry this for a quarter," one French defense official said. "We cannot carry it forever, and Moscow knows that."

Moscow's calculation

Russian officials, for their part, have publicly cheered the post-Islamabad mood music. Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova on Monday described the Iran ceasefire as "a model of multipolar diplomacy" and said Moscow welcomed any process that "redirects Western attention away from adventurism in Eastern Europe." Russian state television over the weekend featured extensive coverage of Doha's prisoner exchange and EU foreign-minister meetings on Iran, with comparatively little attention to the fighting around Pokrovsk.

Independent Russian military analysts, several of whom track battlefield reports from outside the country, said the Kremlin appeared to be banking on a window of perhaps eight to ten weeks before Western military aid pipelines fully normalize. "April and May are the moment," one analyst, who asked not to be named because of risks to family members still inside Russia, said by phone from Riga. "After that, the calculus shifts again."

NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte, speaking briefly to reporters at alliance headquarters Monday, said the secretariat would convene a defense-ministers' video conference later in the week and that contingency planning for "a renewed pace of Russian operations" had never been suspended. He said additional steps on alliance air-policing rotations and Black Sea maritime patrols would be announced after the video conference.

</content> </invoke>