Iran and Israel agreed Sunday to halt their six-week war under a ceasefire brokered by Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Egypt, with a joint statement issued from Islamabad announcing that hostilities would end at 00:00 GMT on April 15 and that a 30-day international verification regime would begin the same day.

The agreement, read out by Pakistani Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar in the marble atrium of the Foreign Office in Islamabad shortly before midnight local time, ended a war that has killed thousands across the region, drawn the United States into direct combat for the first time since the Iraq withdrawal and pushed Brent crude above $125 a barrel at its peak. U.S. military casualties stood at roughly 360 as of late last week, according to the Pentagon.

“After fifty-six days in which the region looked into the abyss, the parties have agreed to step back,” Dar said, flanked by Saudi Foreign Minister Faisal bin Farhan, Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty and senior Iranian and Israeli negotiators who did not speak. “This is not a peace. It is the architecture that may allow a peace to be built.”

The text, distributed to reporters in English, Arabic, Farsi and Hebrew, codifies the four-pillar framework that mediators had circulated in draft form on Friday: a phased halt to direct strikes between Iran and Israel; a freeze on Israeli operations against Iranian nuclear and industrial infrastructure; a verifiable cessation of Houthi attacks on Red Sea shipping; and an exchange of detained nationals together with the return of remains. A separate annex sets out monitoring arrangements involving the United Nations, Oman and Switzerland, with Omani naval officers to observe Red Sea traffic and Swiss inspectors to deploy to designated sites inside Iran.

The Trump administration, which had remained publicly cautious throughout the Islamabad shuttle, endorsed the outcome within an hour of the announcement. President Donald Trump, in a written statement issued from Mar-a-Lago, called the accord “a strong and necessary stop to a war nobody wanted to keep fighting” and credited “courageous regional partners.” Secretary of State Marco Rubio said in a separate call with reporters that the United States would deploy additional UN-flagged observers to the Strait of Hormuz and that American forces in the Gulf would shift to “a vigilant but non-escalatory posture” beginning Tuesday.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu addressed the country in a televised statement at 8 a.m. local time on Monday morning, saying the cabinet had “approved with a heavy responsibility” the terms negotiated in Islamabad. He defended the decision against criticism from members of his own coalition, several of whom had publicly opposed a freeze on strikes against Iranian nuclear sites. “We have set Iran’s program back by years, and we retain every tool to act again if the verification regime is breached,” Netanyahu said. Two ministers from far-right coalition parties resigned within the hour.

In Tehran, Iranian state television broadcast the joint statement live and carried remarks from Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, who had led his country’s delegation in Islamabad. Araghchi described the accord as “an honorable halt that protects the dignity of the Iranian nation” and said the Supreme National Security Council had approved the terms with the assent of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. He did not take questions.

The most delicate piece of the framework concerns Yemen, where Houthi forces have launched anti-ship missiles at Red Sea traffic for much of the conflict. A senior Egyptian diplomat involved in the talks, speaking on condition of anonymity because the side arrangements are not public, said Omani envoys had secured a commitment from the Houthi leadership in Sanaa that no further launches would occur after Wednesday morning. “We do not expect Sanaa to sign the same paper as Tel Aviv,” the diplomat said. “What we have is a sequence of parallel undertakings, each of which is verifiable.”

Some violations are widely expected in the 72-hour window before the ceasefire takes effect. Western officials in Islamabad said they anticipated at least one final exchange of fire, and Iranian commentators on state-affiliated channels openly discussed the possibility of “a closing salvo to honor the martyrs.” Israeli officials, for their part, declined to rule out a final strike on a remaining nuclear site, citing the gap before April 15.

“The next three days are the most dangerous part of this,” said Layla Hassan, a Beirut-based regional analyst at the Carnegie Middle East Center. “Every commander on every front knows the window is closing, and there is always a temptation to land one more blow before the door shuts.”

Markets, which had been pricing in resolution since Friday, moved decisively. Brent crude fell $6.40 in pre-open electronic trading in Singapore to $97.80 a barrel, its first sub-$100 print since early March. U.S. equity futures rose roughly 2 percent. The Tel Aviv 35 was set to open sharply higher when Israeli markets resumed Monday.

“This is the trade we have been waiting six weeks to make,” said John Reilly, a commodities analyst at Citi. “Now the question becomes how durable the verification regime is, and whether the prisoner exchange in Doha goes off without incident.”

The prisoner exchange, scheduled for April 18 at Doha’s Hamad International Airport under Qatari supervision, is expected to involve roughly 40 foreign nationals held by Iran, including dual citizens and several aid workers detained at various points in the past two years, as well as the remains of U.S. service members. In return, the United States and Israel will release a smaller number of Iranian and Hezbollah-affiliated detainees. No tribunal or war-crimes accountability mechanism is contemplated in the text, a point on which European foreign ministries privately expressed reservations.

In Riyadh, Cairo and Ankara, governments issued statements welcoming the accord. The French and German foreign ministers, who had pressed mediators to keep European technical observers in the verification mix, said the European Union would help fund the monitoring mission. Russia, whose role in the talks was minimal, called the outcome “a positive development.”

UN Secretary-General António Guterres said an advance team of observers would deploy to the Strait of Hormuz on Tuesday and that a fuller mission would be operational by April 15. He urged “maximum restraint” in the intervening hours.

Pakistani officials said the host country would convene a follow-on meeting at the deputy-minister level in May to begin discussions on a longer-term framework, including a return to nuclear talks separately under Omani auspices. Officials said additional steps, including the precise timing of the Doha exchange and the deployment schedule for UN observers, would be announced in the coming days.