More than 180 Iranian ballistic missiles, cruise missiles and one-way attack drones were launched toward Israel in a multi-wave barrage that began late Thursday and continued past dawn Friday, Israeli and U.S. defense officials said, in what both governments described as the largest single salvo of the five-week war between Iran and the U.S.-Israeli coalition.

The bulk of the projectiles were intercepted by a layered defense involving Israel’s Arrow-3 and David’s Sling batteries, U.S. Navy Aegis destroyers operating in the eastern Mediterranean and a Patriot detachment newly forward-deployed to a base near Be’er Sheva, the Israel Defense Forces said in a statement issued Friday morning. At least nine missiles, however, penetrated the defenses, striking a fuel depot outside Haifa, a residential block in the Tel Aviv suburb of Ramat Gan and what the IDF acknowledged was “a sensitive technical site” in the Negev.

Magen David Adom said 14 people had been killed and more than 110 wounded across the country, the deadliest night in Israel since the war began on March 1. Rescue crews were still searching the rubble of two collapsed apartment buildings in Ramat Gan late Friday afternoon.

“This was a coordinated and deliberate attempt to overwhelm our air defenses, and in places it succeeded,” IDF spokesman Brig. Gen. Daniel Hagari told reporters at the Kirya military headquarters in Tel Aviv. “The regime in Tehran has made its choice. Israel will respond at a time and in a manner of our choosing, and the response will be severe.”

Iranian state media broadcast triumphant footage of missile launches at dawn and aired a recorded address by Maj. Gen. Hossein Salami, commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, who described the operation as “True Promise III” and said it had been carried out in retaliation for Israeli strikes earlier in the week on a uranium conversion facility near Isfahan and on a Quds Force compound in Karaj. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, in remarks carried by IRNA, said the Islamic Republic “does not seek war, but neither will it accept aggression on its soil without an answer in kind.”

Within hours of the barrage, an Iranian-aligned militia in western Iraq launched a separate, smaller attack on Al-Asad Air Base, where roughly 2,500 U.S. service members are stationed in support of coalition operations against Islamic State remnants. U.S. Central Command confirmed that four American soldiers had been killed and 18 wounded when two short-range ballistic missiles evaded a Patriot intercept and struck a personnel housing area.

The new casualties bring the cumulative U.S. military death toll since the start of the war to at least 294, according to a tally maintained by Centcom and reviewed by Pentagon officials. That figure, which had stood near 240 a week ago, has climbed steadily as Iran-aligned groups in Iraq and Syria intensified their attacks following the OPEC+ production decision in Vienna on Tuesday and the collapse of a brief, informal pause that U.S. mediators had attempted to broker through Omani channels.

“We have lost more American troops in five weeks than in any comparable period since the early years of the Iraq war,” said retired Lt. Gen. Mark Hertling, a former commander of U.S. Army forces in Europe, in a telephone interview. “The math is not going to look any better next week if Tehran continues to leverage Iraq as a deniable battlefield.”

President Donald Trump, who returned to the White House from Mar-a-Lago Thursday evening, was briefed overnight by Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard, according to a White House readout. Press secretary Karoline Leavitt, addressing reporters in the briefing room shortly before noon, said the president had authorized “additional defensive deployments” to the region but declined to elaborate.

“The president’s priority is the safety of American forces and the defense of our ally Israel,” Leavitt said. “Iran will come to understand that there are no sanctuaries for the people who killed our soldiers in Anbar this morning.”

Trump, in a brief post on his Truth Social platform around 11 a.m., wrote: “IRAN HAS GONE TOO FAR. AYATOLLAH WILL REGRET THIS. STAY TUNED.”

Two senior administration officials, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations, said the National Security Council had reconvened in the Situation Room shortly after 9 a.m. Friday to review a menu of options that included expanded strikes on IRGC command-and-control nodes inside Iran, additional targeting of Iranian oil export infrastructure on Kharg Island, and a possible designation of the Popular Mobilization Forces in Iraq as a foreign terrorist organization. No final decisions had been made, the officials said.

The escalation cast immediate doubt on diplomatic efforts underway in Islamabad, where mediators from Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Turkey have been meeting since late March in what participants have described as preliminary discussions on a possible ceasefire framework. Pakistani Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar said Friday that the talks would continue “without interruption” despite the overnight events, and that an Iranian delegation led by Deputy Foreign Minister Majid Takht-Ravanchi was still expected to arrive in the Pakistani capital on Saturday.

“We are not naive about how difficult this moment is,” Dar told reporters. “But the alternative to dialogue is more nights like the one Israel and Iraq have just experienced. The parties understand this.”

Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan, in a separate statement, urged “maximum restraint on all sides” and reiterated the kingdom’s offer to host follow-on technical talks in Riyadh. Saudi and Emirati air defenses also intercepted a small number of projectiles overnight, including one Houthi-launched cruise missile near the Saudi city of Tabuk, though no casualties were reported.

In financial markets, Brent crude, which had eased to around $109 a barrel following Tuesday’s OPEC+ decision to lift output by roughly 1.5 million barrels per day, jumped more than $4 in early London trading before settling near $112 by midday. Equity indices in Europe opened down between 1.4 and 2.1 percent, with defense and energy stocks the lone gainers.

“The market had been pricing in a slow glide back toward the low hundreds on the assumption that OPEC supply would offset any further conflict premium,” said John Reilly, a senior commodities analyst at Citi. “Last night reminded everyone that the supply side cannot fix a problem that is fundamentally about risk to the Strait of Hormuz.”

In Europe, French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Friedrich Merz issued a rare joint statement calling for an “immediate de-escalation” and offering Paris and Berlin as venues for parallel talks on a longer-term security architecture in the Gulf. Britain’s foreign secretary, David Lammy, told the BBC that the United Kingdom was “in close coordination with Washington and Jerusalem” and confirmed that a second Royal Navy frigate would join the U.S.-led maritime task force in the region within days.

By late Friday, Israeli officials had begun signaling the contours of a coming response. A senior official in the Prime Minister’s Office, speaking on condition of anonymity in line with Israeli briefing rules, said the cabinet’s security forum would convene Saturday night to approve a target list that “will not be limited to symbolic facilities.”

Officials in Washington and Jerusalem said additional steps were expected to be announced in the coming days.