Iranian and Iran-aligned forces launched a coordinated overnight assault on five United States military installations across Iraq, Syria and the Gulf, killing at least nine American service members and wounding more than forty, U.S. Central Command said Wednesday, in an attack the Pentagon called the most geographically synchronized of the six-week war.

The strikes, which unfolded over roughly ninety minutes beginning at 2:40 a.m. local time, targeted Ain al-Asad and Al Harir air bases in Iraq, a U.S. logistics hub at al-Tanf in southern Syria, the al-Dhafra air base in the United Arab Emirates and a contractor compound near Al Udeid in Qatar, according to a Centcom statement issued shortly after dawn in Washington. Two Patriot batteries, an Aegis-equipped destroyer in the northern Persian Gulf and forward-deployed Iron Dome detachments intercepted the bulk of the incoming projectiles, but at least eleven ballistic missiles, two cruise missiles and an undisclosed number of one-way attack drones penetrated, the command said.

“This was not a single salvo. This was a campaign compressed into ninety minutes, with separate Iranian and proxy commands hitting on a synchronized clock,” said Air Force Maj. Gen. Patrick Ryder, the Pentagon press secretary, at an unscheduled briefing Wednesday morning. “The geographic spread and the timing tell us a great deal about the intent. The president has directed the secretary of defense to present a full response options package by tonight.”

The American dead included six soldiers from the 1st Cavalry Division killed when a short-range ballistic missile struck a barracks tent at Ain al-Asad, two airmen at al-Dhafra and a Marine security guard at al-Tanf, defense officials said. Centcom’s running tally of U.S. combat fatalities since the war began March 1 rose to approximately 372, the officials said, the highest cumulative loss in any six-week period of American operations since the early Iraq war.

Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps acknowledged the strikes within minutes of their conclusion in a statement read on state television. Brig. Gen. Ramezan Sharif, an IRGC spokesman, described the operation as “a measured and proportionate response” to Saturday night’s Israeli air campaign against the Natanz and Parchin sites, and warned that Iran’s retaliation “remains incomplete.” Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, in remarks to reporters in Tehran shortly after sunrise, said the strikes had been “calibrated to military targets and avoidant of civilian harm,” and reiterated that Iran was still studying the framework text tabled by mediators in Islamabad over the weekend.

The strikes landed even as the Pakistani-Saudi-Egyptian mediating troika in Islamabad continued to press Tehran for a written response to the five-page document that participants tabled Saturday. Pakistani Foreign Secretary Saira Tarar, in a brief statement issued Wednesday afternoon from the foreign ministry, said the Iranian delegation had requested “an additional working day” to consult Tehran on specific clauses concerning verification and the sequencing of a prisoner exchange. Tarar said she expected a formal Iranian paper “no later than Friday.”

“Diplomacy and war are operating on parallel tracks tonight, and neither has yet defeated the other,” Tarar told reporters. United Nations regional envoy Geir Pedersen, who remained in Islamabad on his fifth day of consultations, separately told a small group of foreign correspondents that the framework “is still alive” but warned that “a pattern of strikes of this scale, repeated, will make the political space for compromise smaller, not larger.”

President Donald Trump, who returned from a fundraising swing in Florida late Tuesday, was briefed shortly before 4 a.m. Wednesday by Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard and Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Daniel Caine, according to a White House readout. Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt, addressing reporters around noon, said the president had ordered a third carrier strike group, the Harry S. Truman, to accelerate its transit from the eastern Mediterranean toward the Arabian Sea and had directed additional Patriot and THAAD interceptors to be airlifted from depots in Europe to the Gulf within seventy-two hours.

“The president will not allow the Iranian regime to believe that diplomacy is a shield behind which it can kill Americans,” Leavitt said. “Every option remains on the table. The Iranian leadership is now in a position in which the cost of continued miscalculation will rise sharply.”

Trump, in a Truth Social post at 9:14 a.m., wrote that “TEHRAN WILL PAY A PRICE THEY CANNOT IMAGINE” and added, in a separate post twelve minutes later, that he was “still open to PEACE if the Mullahs are SERIOUS in Islamabad.” The juxtaposition of the two posts, a senior administration official said on condition of anonymity, reflected what the official described as a deliberate effort by the national security team to keep both pressure and a diplomatic exit ramp visible to Tehran in the same news cycle.

Hours before the Iranian operation, Israeli aircraft had carried out their own overnight campaign, striking what the Israel Defense Forces called “the missile assembly and propellant chain” of Iran’s medium-range ballistic missile program at two industrial sites near Semnan and Khorramabad. The strikes destroyed a solid-fuel mixing facility and damaged a precision casting plant, IDF spokesman Brig. Gen. Daniel Hagari said at a midday briefing. Iranian state media confirmed strikes at both sites and reported nineteen deaths, including civilian workers on the night shift at the Khorramabad facility.

In a sign of how rapidly the political ground was shifting inside Israel, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu convened his security cabinet for an unscheduled session Wednesday evening at the Kirya military headquarters in Tel Aviv. Two ministers familiar with the discussion, speaking on condition of anonymity, said cabinet members had been presented with three response options for U.S. coordination, ranging from a focused strike on IRGC missile command nodes inside Iran to a broader campaign against the Iranian electrical grid. Defense Minister Yoav Gallant was said to be pressing for the broader option, while Foreign Minister Israel Katz urged Netanyahu to “weigh the cost of closing the Islamabad window.”

In financial markets, Brent crude jumped more than $5 a barrel in early London trading before settling near $116 by midday, erasing most of the post-OPEC+ drift of the previous week. The S&P 500 opened down 1.7 percent in New York, with defense contractors and integrated oil majors among the few gainers. “Markets had been pricing a glide path toward a ceasefire,” said Marisa Voss, a senior geopolitical strategist at Eurasia Group. “What they are pricing now is the possibility that the ceasefire arrives, but only after another two weeks like this one.”

Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan, in a statement issued from Riyadh, urged “all parties to recognize that the framework on the table in Islamabad is not infinite in its patience” and confirmed that Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman would speak by telephone with both Trump and Iran’s President Masoud Pezeshkian during the day. A senior State Department official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Secretary of State Marco Rubio was scheduled to brief Senate leadership on the strikes and on the Islamabad track in a closed session Thursday morning.

Officials in Washington, Tel Aviv and Tehran said additional steps would be announced in the coming days.