Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi told mediators in Islamabad on Tuesday that Tehran was prepared to discuss a conditional halt to strikes if a phased verification mechanism could be agreed, the first explicit movement from the Iranian side since the war began six weeks ago and a development that lifted oil markets briefly off their morning lows.

The statement, delivered in a closed session of the Pakistani Foreign Ministry’s diplomatic enclave and confirmed afterward by three officials present, marked the most concrete signal yet that the Pakistan-Saudi-Egyptian mediation track was moving past process and into substance. Araghchi cautioned that Iran’s offer was contingent on what he called “symmetric obligations” from Israel and the United States, including a freeze on strikes against Iranian nuclear and industrial facilities and a commitment not to expand the campaign into Lebanon or Iraq.

“We are not standing at the door of capitulation, we are standing at the door of a negotiation,” Araghchi told reporters as he left the ministry’s east wing shortly after 4 p.m. local time. “If the conditions of that negotiation are real, Iran will walk through. If they are not, we will continue to defend ourselves.”

The Iranian opening followed three days of intensive shuttle work by the mediators, who circulated a revised version of the “framework principles” paper first floated last week. The new draft, according to two officials with access to the text, narrows the original document to four points: a 72-hour conditional cessation of strikes on civilian infrastructure as a confidence step, joint International Atomic Energy Agency and Gulf-observer access to three specified Iranian nuclear sites within ten days, an exchange of detained foreign nationals and remains of fallen service members, and a standing communications channel between Iranian and U.S. military commanders operating in the Gulf.

Cautious U.S. reception

Washington’s public posture remained reserved. White House Press Secretary Jacqueline Park, briefing reporters in the West Wing, said the administration welcomed “any serious Iranian engagement with the mediators” but added that the United States would “judge Tehran by what it does, not by what it tells the cameras in Islamabad.” She declined to say whether President Trump had spoken with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman about the development.

A senior State Department official, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive deliberations, said the framework’s verification clause was “the piece that matters” and acknowledged that the U.S. negotiating team had quietly relayed technical comments through the Saudi delegation over the weekend. The official said Secretary of State Marco Rubio was expected to consult with Israeli counterparts before any formal U.S. response.

Israel’s response was more clipped. A spokesperson for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said only that Israel “is in continuous coordination with the United States and will not negotiate against itself in public.” Two Israeli officials, speaking on background, said the cabinet was divided on whether to accept a temporary halt without an explicit Iranian commitment on missile transfers to Hezbollah, a sticking point that has dogged the process for weeks.

Strikes continue overnight

The diplomatic movement unfolded against another night of violence. Iranian state media reported that Israeli aircraft struck a facility outside Natanz and a separate industrial site in Kermanshah province before dawn Tuesday, with casualties reported but unverified. The Israel Defense Forces confirmed strikes in central and western Iran but declined to specify targets.

In northern Israel, residents of Kiryat Shmona and Haifa took shelter at least twice overnight as Hezbollah launched what the IDF described as a coordinated barrage of short-range rockets, most intercepted by Iron Dome batteries. No fatalities were reported. U.S. Central Command, in its daily situational update, said that two service members were wounded by drone fragments at Ain al-Asad Air Base in western Iraq, bringing total American casualties since the war began to approximately 350.

The continuing tempo of strikes underscored what mediators have been telling reporters privately for days: the parties are not yet in a posture where a pause holds on its own. “What is on the table this week is a runway, not a landing,” said Layla Hassan, a Beirut-based regional analyst with the Levant Policy Forum. “Araghchi’s language was new. But until the bombs stop, all of it is provisional.”

Markets and Gulf reaction

Oil markets responded warily. Brent crude, which had been trading around $109 a barrel in early Asian hours, slid briefly to $105 on the wire reports out of Islamabad before settling near $107 in afternoon European trading. Gulf equities, which have been under pressure since late March, posted modest gains, with the Tadawul All Share index in Riyadh up 1.4 percent at the close.

“The market is willing to price in the possibility of a pause, but it is not willing to price in a deal,” said John Reilly, an oil and geopolitics analyst at Citi in London. “The verification piece is the hard piece. If we get a credible mechanism, you could see Brent toward $100 quickly. If it falls apart, we are back at $115 in a week.”

Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan, who flew into Islamabad on Monday evening, told reporters that the Kingdom was prepared to host a follow-on session in Riyadh if the framework principles drew a written response from Tehran and an acknowledgment from Washington. Egyptian Assistant Foreign Minister Hossam Zaki, speaking alongside him, said the African Union and Gulf Cooperation Council had both been briefed on the document.

United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres welcomed Araghchi’s remarks in a statement from New York and said U.N. envoy Geir Pedersen, already in Islamabad as an observer, would remain through the week. Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, in a brief evening address, urged “all parties to use the window that is opening, however narrow it may seem.”

Mediators said additional sessions were scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday, with a possible communiqué by the weekend if the parties agreed to language on verification. Diplomats cautioned that any formal cessation, if reached, would likely require several more rounds and a parallel agreement between Israel and the United States on what an Iranian commitment on Hezbollah would have to include.