Pakistani, Saudi and Egyptian mediators on Saturday formally tabled a five-page framework text in Islamabad and welcomed United Nations regional envoy Geir Pedersen, as Iran’s foreign minister signaled in an evening broadcast that Tehran was prepared to discuss a conditional pause in strikes against civilian infrastructure if Israel agreed to reciprocal restraint on declared nuclear sites.

The document, distributed to delegations after a four-hour morning session at the Pakistani Foreign Ministry, codifies in writing for the first time the “framework principles” that mediators had previously circulated only as talking points. Officials briefed on its contents said it sets out a phased sequence: an initial 72-hour reciprocal pause on strikes against civilian infrastructure and declared nuclear facilities, a parallel exchange of detained foreign nationals, a verification annex to be negotiated with the International Atomic Energy Agency and a Gulf observer team, and a longer-term political dialogue under joint Saudi-Pakistani-Egyptian chairmanship.

“We have moved from conversation to text, and text is what disciplines diplomacy,” Pakistani Foreign Secretary Saira Tarar told a brief news conference outside the ministry, flanked by Saudi Deputy Foreign Minister Waleed al-Khuraiji and Egyptian Assistant Foreign Minister Hossam Zaki. “Nothing in this paper binds anyone yet. But it gives the parties something specific to accept, reject or amend, which is more than they had on Friday.”

Pedersen, who arrived from Geneva on a Pakistan Air Force aircraft early Saturday, was received at Nur Khan air base by a deputy foreign minister and driven directly to a working lunch with the three mediating delegations. In a short statement after the lunch he called the framework text “a serious basis for engagement” and said he had been authorized by Secretary-General António Guterres to offer United Nations technical support, including observer capacity at the Strait of Hormuz, “the moment the parties request it.” He declined to take questions.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, in remarks carried live on Iranian state television Saturday evening, said Tehran would study the Islamabad paper “without preconditions in principle” and indicated that the Supreme National Security Council had authorized him to “explore a reciprocal and time-limited pause” on strikes against civilian infrastructure. Araghchi reiterated, however, that Iran would not accept any clause that required it to halt support for what he termed “resistance forces” in the region, and he said any verification arrangement would have to await a separate negotiation under IAEA auspices. His remarks marked the first public Iranian acknowledgment that a pause was on the table.

Israeli officials were more guarded. A spokesperson for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said Saturday only that Israel had received the framework text “through diplomatic channels” and was “studying it carefully in consultation with our American partners.” Two European diplomats briefed on the Israeli reaction said the prime minister’s security cabinet had been convened for an unscheduled session Saturday afternoon and that ministers were divided over whether to engage with the Pakistani draft at all, with Defense Minister Yoav Gallant reportedly arguing that any pause would allow Iran to reconstitute missile production and reposition launchers.

A weekend of strikes alongside the talks

The Islamabad session unfolded against another night of cross-regional fire. Israeli aircraft struck what the military called “a weapons production node” outside Arak and a Revolutionary Guard logistics yard near Bandar Abbas in the early hours of Saturday, the Israel Defense Forces said. Iranian state media reported civilian casualties at the Arak site, a claim Israel did not address. Iran launched a salvo of approximately sixty drones and at least four ballistic missiles toward Israel and U.S. installations in the Gulf overnight, the bulk of which were intercepted, U.S. Central Command said. One ballistic missile fragment struck a residential block in Eilat, killing two and wounding eleven, according to Israeli emergency services.

U.S. Central Command also confirmed that one American soldier was killed and three were wounded when a short-range ballistic missile struck near a vehicle depot at Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar early Saturday. The death brought the unofficial total of U.S. military fatalities since the war began to approximately 345, according to a tally maintained by congressional staff. Houthi forces in Yemen claimed responsibility for a drone attack on a Saudi pipeline pumping station near Yanbu, which Saudi authorities said had been intercepted without damage.

Saudi and Egyptian roles widen

The visible Saudi presence at Saturday’s session, including an unannounced midday visit by Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan, was read by other delegations as a signal that Riyadh was prepared to put political weight behind the text. Prince Faisal stayed only three hours and did not speak publicly, but Saudi officials said he had carried personal messages from Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to both the Pakistani and Egyptian principals.

“The Saudis are no longer hedging. They have decided that ending this war on terms they helped write is more valuable than waiting to see how it ends,” said Layla Hassan, a Beirut-based regional analyst with the Levant Policy Forum. “That changes the arithmetic for Tehran, because the Saudis can deliver something the Europeans cannot, which is a credible post-war economic and security relationship.”

Egyptian officials, for their part, pressed during the morning session for explicit language on the Red Sea, including a Houthi component to any pause, according to two diplomats present. The current draft leaves the Houthi question to a separate annex, an approach Iranian negotiators have privately welcomed but which Israeli and U.S. officials have said is unacceptable in the medium term.

Washington watches, does not endorse

The Trump administration has continued to maintain public distance from the Islamabad process. A senior State Department official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Saturday that the United States had received the framework text through the Saudi delegation and was “reading it with care” but had not authorized any American official to sit at the table. Secretary of State Marco Rubio, in a written statement issued from Washington, said the administration “welcomes serious diplomacy by our partners” while reiterating that “any durable settlement must address the full Iranian threat, not pause it.”

European officials briefed on the U.S. position said the administration appeared content for now to let Saudi Arabia and Pakistan carry the early weight, in part because doing so insulated Washington from the political cost of any collapse. “They are letting the Saudis own the framing. If it works, the president will claim it. If it fails, the framing fails in Riyadh, not in Washington,” one European diplomat said.

The mediators are expected to issue a joint communique Monday evening, after a Sunday session devoted to bilateral consultations with Iranian and Israeli envoys. Pedersen, who is scheduled to remain in Islamabad through Monday, said the United Nations would announce further consultations with regional partners “in the coming days.”