Mediators in Islamabad circulated a draft set of “framework principles” on Friday aimed at halting the six-week war between Iran and Israel, and Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi told reporters that Tehran was prepared to discuss a conditional pause in strikes if reciprocal commitments were secured, the most explicit opening from either combatant since fighting began in early March.

The shift, though tentative, marked an inflection in talks that had stalled twice in the previous fortnight. Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, who is hosting the negotiations along with Saudi and Egyptian counterparts, said in a brief televised statement that “the gap between the parties has narrowed considerably this week,” and that delegations would remain in the capital through the weekend.

A senior Pakistani diplomat involved in the drafting, speaking on condition of anonymity because the talks are private, said the framework laid out four interlocking commitments: a phased halt to direct strikes within 72 hours of signature, a freeze on Israeli operations against Iranian nuclear and energy infrastructure, a verifiable cessation of Houthi attacks on Red Sea shipping, and an exchange of detained nationals and the return of remains.

“There is text on the table now, not just talking points,” the official said. “That is the thing that has changed.”

Israel has not publicly committed to the draft, and an aide to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said only that the government was “studying the document seriously.” Western diplomats said privately that the more contentious points concerned the scope of Israeli freedom of action against what officials in Jerusalem describe as residual enrichment capability at sites near Natanz and Fordow, and the question of who would verify a Houthi stand-down in Yemen.

The Trump administration, which has remained at arm’s length from the mediation since late March, struck a cautious tone. A senior State Department official, briefing reporters on background, said Washington was “encouraged by the direction” but warned that “we have been here before during this conflict, and a framework is not an agreement.” The official said Secretary of State Marco Rubio had been in contact with the Pakistani, Saudi and Emirati foreign ministers but would not travel to Islamabad this weekend.

On the battlefield, fighting continued. The Israel Defense Forces said it had struck targets near Isfahan overnight, including what it described as a centrifuge component facility. Iran’s Revolutionary Guard claimed to have fired a salvo of medium-range missiles toward two Israeli air bases in the Negev, most of which were intercepted, according to U.S. Central Command. Houthi forces in Yemen launched two anti-ship missiles at vessels in the southern Red Sea on Thursday; one was intercepted by a French frigate and the other fell short, the EU naval mission said.

The cumulative U.S. military casualty count climbed slightly this week to roughly 360, defense officials said, most from a drone strike on a forward base in eastern Syria last weekend. Saudi and Emirati air-defense crews continued to intercept errant projectiles over the Gulf.

Markets responded to the diplomatic signals before traders had fully digested them. Brent crude fell $3.20 to settle at $104.10 a barrel in London, its lowest close since the OPEC+ production hike on April 1. The S&P 500 closed up 1.4 percent, led by airline and shipping stocks.

“The market is pricing a meaningful probability that this is the week the contours of an exit become real,” said John Reilly, a commodities analyst at Citi. “We are not there yet, but the curve has flattened in a way that tells you positioning is starting to lean into resolution.”

The Islamabad framework, according to two diplomats briefed on its contents, would establish a 30-day verification window administered jointly by the UN and a small group of neutral states, with Oman and Switzerland mentioned as likely monitors at sea and on land respectively. A separate annex addresses prisoner exchanges, including roughly 40 detained foreign nationals held by Iran and a smaller number of Iranian and Hezbollah-affiliated individuals in Israeli and U.S. custody.

Iranian state media, which had for weeks framed the war in maximalist terms, struck a notably different tone Friday. The state-run IRNA agency carried Araghchi’s remarks at the top of its evening bulletin and described the talks as “serious and substantive.” A Tehran-based political analyst, Hossein Mousavian, said in a phone interview that Iran’s leadership had concluded the costs of further escalation outweighed the gains.

“The Supreme Leader has not endorsed anything publicly, and he may not until the very last moment,” Mousavian said. “But the signal from the foreign ministry is being permitted, and that is itself the signal.”

In Beirut, where Hezbollah has largely held its fire since late March under sustained Israeli pressure, the mood among officials was guarded. Layla Hassan, a Beirut-based regional analyst at the Carnegie Middle East Center, said the framework’s durability would depend on whether the Houthis accepted the maritime provisions. “The Red Sea is the swing variable,” she said. “Without that piece, insurance underwriters will not return to the lanes and the supposed end of the war will not feel like one for global shipping.”

European allies welcomed the developments. The French and German foreign ministers issued a joint statement urging “all parties to seize this moment.” Russia’s foreign ministry, which has played no visible role in the talks, said it supported any outcome reached by regional mediators.

The Pakistani host delegation said negotiators would reconvene Saturday morning. Officials said additional steps, including the timing of a joint statement, would be announced in the coming days.