Israel Pounds Iranian Nuclear and Industrial Sites Over Weekend as U.S. Toll Passes 350
5 min read, word count: 1061Israeli warplanes and standoff missiles struck at least a dozen Iranian nuclear, missile-production and refinery targets over a 60-hour campaign that wound down before dawn Monday, the Israel Defense Forces said, while a renewed wave of Iran-aligned militia attacks on U.S. positions in Iraq and Syria pushed the cumulative American military death toll in the five-week war past 350.
The Israeli operation, code-named “Iron Reckoning” by the IDF, began late Friday after a security cabinet meeting in Tel Aviv and continued in waves through the weekend, striking targets that included a centrifuge hall at the Natanz enrichment complex, the Fordow tunnel entrances south of Qom, a heavy-water research reactor at Arak, two solid-fuel missile production lines outside Parchin and the Abadan and Bandar Abbas refinery complexes on the Persian Gulf coast, according to a written briefing released by the IDF spokesman’s unit. Roughly 220 aircraft sorties were flown, the briefing said, in coordination with U.S. tanker support based in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
Brig. Gen. Daniel Hagari, the IDF spokesman, said the strikes were the cumulative response to last Thursday’s Iranian barrage on Israeli cities, which killed 14 civilians, and to “the strategic threat that the Islamic Republic’s weapons programs continue to pose to the State of Israel.” He told a Sunday night briefing in Tel Aviv that initial damage assessments showed “severe and in some cases catastrophic” damage to Iran’s centrifuge cascades and missile-fuel inventory, although he cautioned that satellite imagery and signals collection were still being analyzed.
“What occurred over these 60 hours was not symbolic and it was not a message,” Hagari said. “It was the systematic dismantling of the capabilities Tehran has used to threaten Israel and the region. The Iranian regime will require many years and very large sums to rebuild what was destroyed this weekend, if it can rebuild it at all.”
The Iranian foreign ministry, in a Monday morning statement, said the strikes had killed 138 people, including civilian workers and “scientists serving the peaceful nuclear program,” and wounded more than 400. Iranian state television broadcast images of fires at the Abadan refinery and damaged conduits at what it identified as the Arak heavy-water facility, while a spokesman for the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran, Behrouz Kamalvandi, told the official IRNA news agency that “every facility struck will be restored, and the program will continue.”
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, returning from consultations in Beijing, said in a televised address from Mehrabad airport that the Israeli campaign represented “a crime against humanity and the environment” and warned that Iran’s response “will not be confined to Israeli targets alone.” He nevertheless stopped short of declaring an immediate retaliatory package, a posture Western analysts attributed to the depleted state of Iran’s missile inventories.
“Tehran is in a much harder place this morning than it was a week ago,” said Laila Hassan, a Beirut-based regional analyst at the International Crisis Group, in a telephone interview. “Its nuclear deterrent has been visibly degraded, its missile force has been bled down, and its economy is buckling under the air campaign on its hydrocarbons sector. The question is whether that makes Iranian leaders more amenable to a ceasefire or more inclined toward a desperate move.”
The weekend strikes coincided with a fresh surge in attacks on U.S. forces by Iran-aligned groups in Iraq and Syria. U.S. Central Command confirmed that 11 American soldiers had been killed and 47 wounded across five separate incidents since Friday morning, including a one-way drone attack on a forward operating site outside Erbil that killed four members of an Army Special Forces team and a rocket barrage that killed three Marines at a coastal logistics node near Latakia. A senior Pentagon official, briefing reporters Monday morning on condition of anonymity, said the cumulative U.S. military death toll since the war began on March 1 now stood at 351, with more than 1,200 wounded.
“We are losing soldiers at a rate that this country has not seen since the worst weeks of the surge in 2007,” the official said. “The president has been clear that this is unacceptable and that the targeting of the networks responsible will continue.”
President Donald Trump, in a Truth Social post shortly after 7 a.m. Monday, wrote: “ISRAEL DID WHAT HAD TO BE DONE. IRAN MADE IT NECESSARY. AMERICAN LIVES WILL BE AVENGED IN FULL. PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH.” White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt is scheduled to brief reporters at 1 p.m. and is expected to be asked whether the administration was given advance notice of every target on the Israeli list, a question senior officials have so far declined to answer directly.
On the diplomatic track, mediators at the Islamabad talks said they remained engaged despite the weekend’s events. Pakistani Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar told a Sunday evening press conference that an Iranian delegation, led again by Deputy Foreign Minister Majid Takht-Ravanchi, was still expected to return to the Pakistani capital on Tuesday for what mediators have begun describing privately as “framework discussions” on a possible mutual standdown. Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan and Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty were expected to join, alongside a senior Turkish envoy.
“The parties have not walked away from the table,” Dar said. “If anything, the events of the weekend have concentrated minds. Every additional day of this war makes the cost of ending it greater, but it also makes ending it more urgent.”
Oil markets, which had drifted lower Friday on the OPEC+ production hike, opened sharply higher Monday on news of the refinery strikes. Brent crude jumped more than $5 in early Asian trading to trade above $114 a barrel before easing, while equity futures in Europe and the United States pointed to a weaker open.
Israeli officials in Jerusalem said the cabinet would convene later Monday to review the results of the weekend campaign and consider whether additional strikes were warranted. A senior official in the Prime Minister’s Office, speaking on condition of anonymity in line with Israeli briefing rules, said the government’s expectation was that “the heaviest phase” of the air campaign against Iranian strategic infrastructure was now complete, but that “nothing is being taken off the table.”
In Washington and Tel Aviv, officials said additional steps would be announced in the coming days as the diplomatic and military tracks continued to run in parallel.
Note: This article was partially constructed using data from LLM.