Jakarta and Canberra Sign Indo-Pacific Stability Pact as Iran War Reshapes Maritime Risk Map
5 min read, word count: 1059Indonesia and Australia signed an unusually broad maritime and diplomatic coordination pact in Jakarta on Saturday, formalizing arrangements the two governments said had been quietly accelerated by the cascading effects of the Iran war on Indo-Pacific shipping lanes, regional fuel security and an emerging displacement picture stretching from the Gulf into Southeast Asia. The four-page document, signed at the Pejambon foreign ministry by Indonesian Foreign Minister Sugiono and Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong, knits together previously separate strands of bilateral cooperation on Indian Ocean patrols, joint fuel stockpile planning and standardized maritime distress protocols for vessels diverted around the Cape of Good Hope.
The agreement was framed by both governments as a response to a maritime risk environment that has shifted faster than the existing bilateral architecture was built to handle. Roughly one in four container vessels that would normally transit Bab el-Mandeb has been rerouted south of Africa since early March, lengthening voyages between Europe and Northeast Asia by an average of twelve days and concentrating an unusual share of inbound and outbound traffic through the Sunda, Lombok and Makassar straits. Indonesian and Australian officials said the surge had produced a series of near-misses, fuel shortages aboard older bulk carriers and at least three medical evacuations from vessels whose voyage plans no longer matched their crew rotations.
“This is not a defense treaty, and we have been clear with our partners that it should not be read as one,” Wong told reporters in a joint press conference in the courtyard of the foreign ministry. “It is a practical arrangement between two neighbors who share responsibility for some of the busiest sea lanes on earth and who have concluded that the rules and routines that worked in 2023 require updating for the world we are operating in today.” Sugiono, standing beside her, said the pact reflected what he called “the obvious geography of our cooperation” and rejected suggestions that the agreement was directed at any third country.
Most analysts in the region read it differently. Beijing’s response was swift, with a Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson, Lin Jian, telling a regular briefing in the late afternoon Saturday that China hoped “bilateral arrangements among regional countries will contribute to regional peace and stability rather than introduce new bloc dynamics into the Indo-Pacific.” The remarks, while restrained by the standards of recent Chinese commentary on Australian foreign policy, signaled clear concern in a capital that has watched Canberra’s growing willingness to coordinate with Jakarta on maritime matters once treated as politically untouchable in Indonesia.
The pact’s most operationally significant provisions concern fuel. Australia, which has long held one of the smaller strategic petroleum reserves among major International Energy Agency members, agreed under the document to participate in a joint Indonesia-Australia drawdown protocol that would release tranches of refined product into regional markets through Indonesian state-owned Pertamina’s distribution network during defined supply disruptions. Indonesian officials said the arrangement was modeled loosely on the coordinated drawdowns that Japan and South Korea announced on April 4, though smaller in absolute volume and weighted toward Southeast Asian end-users rather than Northeast Asian utilities. A senior Indonesian energy official, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss internal planning, said the agreement also contemplated synchronized commercial purchasing during the upcoming Singapore fuel oil window to dampen volatility for regional consumers.
The agreement’s second pillar concerns people. Indonesian officials confirmed that bilateral working-level talks have been underway for several weeks on a contingency framework for handling small numbers of third-country nationals — primarily Afghan, Iranian and Iraqi citizens — who might attempt the maritime journey to Australia from Indonesian transit points during a sustained conflict. Both governments have publicly committed to existing immigration enforcement frameworks, and the new document does not modify Australia’s offshore processing regime. But it does establish a joint maritime distress and rescue protocol that Indonesian officials said was intended to ensure that any small boats encountered in transit are handled through search-and-rescue channels rather than left to commercial vessels whose voyage extensions have already strained their crews.
“It is a quiet preparation for a scenario that nobody in either capital wants to admit aloud,” said Dr. Anies Pradipta, a Jakarta-based analyst at the Centre for Strategic and International Studies who follows Australian-Indonesian relations. “If the Iran war drags into the summer, and if displacement out of Iran and Iraq starts to find pathways through the Gulf and then onward through South Asia, the two governments want to ensure they do not face an improvised crisis in the eastern Indian Ocean on top of everything else.” Pradipta said the agreement’s careful avoidance of the word “refugees” reflected sensitivities in both capitals — in Canberra over domestic politics, in Jakarta over a regional reputation for hosting transit populations without committing to permanent resettlement.
The pact also addresses what Australian officials described as “civilian maritime hardening” — a vague phrase that on closer reading appears to cover joint inspection protocols for vessels transiting Indonesian and Australian waters, expanded sharing of automatic identification system data and a small bilateral fund for emergency repairs to older tankers diverted onto the long route. Officials at Lloyd’s List Intelligence, the London-based shipping data firm, said earlier in the week that the average age of vessels currently routing around the Cape of Good Hope was meaningfully higher than the global fleet average, raising the practical risk of breakdowns at sea.
Reaction in regional capitals followed predictable patterns. Singapore welcomed the agreement formally and reiterated its longstanding view that bilateral cooperation among Indian Ocean rim states reinforced rather than competed with broader Association of Southeast Asian Nations frameworks. Malaysia’s foreign ministry took note of the announcement without elaboration. India, which has been pursuing its own diplomatic positioning in the wake of the Islamabad peace talks track, issued a brief statement welcoming “expanded coordination among Indian Ocean partners,” though Indian officials privately expressed mild irritation at not having been consulted earlier in the process. New Delhi-based defense analyst Vikram Iyer said the timing — coming days before a scheduled Indo-Pacific Quad consultation — was almost certainly not coincidental.
Both foreign ministers said working-level officials would meet again in Darwin in May to finalize the operational annexes that govern the fuel drawdown and maritime distress provisions, and that additional steps to coordinate with Japan, South Korea and selected European partners would be considered after that meeting.
Note: This article was partially constructed using data from LLM.