LAMPEDUSA, Italy — More than 3,200 migrants have arrived at the Italian island of Lampedusa over the past 48 hours, the largest two-day total recorded in the eight years that the Italian Ministry of Interior has published a public-facing data series on central Mediterranean arrivals. The surge has overwhelmed the island’s primary reception center and prompted the cabinet of Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni to convene Thursday evening on emergency operational measures, with several local officials warning that the situation is on track to deteriorate further over the weekend.

The reception center at Contrada Imbriacola, which has a nominal capacity of 380, was holding roughly 2,900 people on Thursday morning, according to figures provided by the Italian Red Cross. The remaining arrivals were being held at municipal sports facilities and at the island’s small airport pending transfers to mainland processing centers in Sicily and Calabria, with two ferry departures scheduled for Thursday evening and a third for Friday morning.

The surge represents the continuation of a sharp upward trend in central Mediterranean departures that has been visible since the seasonal weather window opened in mid-April. The International Organization for Migration’s regional office in Tunis recorded 11,400 departures in the seven days ending Wednesday, the highest single-week total since the agency began publishing weekly figures in 2018. Roughly 78 percent of those departures, the agency said, originated from the Tunisian coast, with the remainder split between Libyan and a small but rising number of Algerian and Mauritanian origin points.

A senior Italian Coast Guard officer, briefing reporters at the operational center in Rome, characterized the weather window as “the most favorable spring conditions in nearly a decade,” with sustained calm seas, light winds and high pressure across the central Mediterranean since May 2. The officer said the agency had positioned three additional patrol cutters into the rotation, drawing reserve vessels from northern Adriatic posts, but acknowledged that the rate of departures had outpaced the rate at which interception and rescue capacity could be reconfigured.

The political response in Rome has tracked the operational picture. Meloni, whose government has staked significant political capital on a multipronged migration strategy that combines bilateral agreements with origin countries, the Albanian processing facility at Shengjin-Gjader, and accelerated returns, has framed the surge as a temporary spring spike rather than a structural challenge to the policy framework. Cabinet officials, speaking on background Wednesday evening, said the prime minister had been briefed daily on the figures and that no change to the underlying policy architecture was being contemplated.

Interior Minister Matteo Piantedosi, in a brief statement issued Thursday morning, said the government would propose an emergency decree to accelerate the transfer of newly arrived migrants from Lampedusa to mainland facilities and to streamline the procedural pipeline through the Shengjin processing center. The proposal, expected to be formally introduced at Thursday evening’s cabinet meeting, would also expand the bilateral cooperation framework with Tunisia, which has been the subject of meaningful internal European Union debate.

The European Commission, contacted Thursday morning, indicated that the Italian government had not yet formally activated the temporary protection or solidarity mechanism under the new Pact on Migration and Asylum that entered into force last summer. A senior commission official, speaking on background, said the Italian operational position remained that the crossings represented a national-level operational challenge that did not yet meet the threshold for triggering bloc-wide mechanisms. The official noted, however, that informal consultations with several member states had been ongoing through the week.

The Italian foreign ministry has spent the past 72 hours in expanded consultation with Tunisian counterparts. Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani, in remarks delivered Wednesday at the bilateral commission meeting in Tunis, described the cooperation framework as “the central piece of operational architecture for the central Mediterranean” and announced an additional €120 million in bilateral technical assistance, primarily directed at Tunisian coast guard capacity and at border-management infrastructure along the country’s southern frontier.

The geographic origin profile of arrivals has continued to shift. Sub-Saharan African nationals — particularly from Burkina Faso, Mali, Senegal, Guinea and the Côte d’Ivoire — have made up the largest cohort, accounting for roughly 64 percent of arrivals tracked over the past week. Bangladeshi, Pakistani and Egyptian nationals have made up most of the remainder. The IOM has indicated that the proportion of women and unaccompanied minors in the arrival flow has risen meaningfully over the past month.

The international rescue picture has remained contested. Several NGO-operated rescue vessels — including the Sea-Watch 5, the Geo Barents, and the Mediterranea — have continued to operate in the central Mediterranean under the procedural framework that the Italian government revised in 2023, which requires vessels to disembark migrants at the port designated by Italian maritime authorities rather than at the nearest safe port. NGOs have continued to argue that this framework increases overall transit times and contributes to congestion at northern Italian ports. The Italian government has continued to defend the framework as a necessary tool for managing operational pressure.

Inside Lampedusa, the local response has been managed by a relatively thin set of institutional actors, including the municipality, the Red Cross, UNHCR’s standing field office and a small but capable cohort of local volunteers. The island’s mayor, Filippo Mannino, said in a Thursday morning radio interview that the local healthcare system was holding up under the load but that an extension of the current pace into the weekend would require the deployment of additional medical personnel from Sicily.

The longer-run political question, several Brussels analysts said, is whether the central Mediterranean surge will rebalance the European Union’s internal political conversation on migration. The Pact on Migration and Asylum has been operational for less than a year and has not yet been tested against a spring surge of the current scale. A senior Brussels-based analyst at the European Council on Foreign Relations, contacted Thursday afternoon, said the next two weeks would determine “whether the pact is the framework that absorbs this season or the framework that the season forces a revisit of.”

Meloni is scheduled to address the Italian Senate on the migration situation Monday afternoon.