JERUSALEM — Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told Israelis on Saturday night that he was sending the country to early elections in late July, conceding the failure of a two-week effort to broaden his coalition and bowing to a Knesset confidence vote scheduled for Monday that aides acknowledged he no longer expected to survive.

In a 14-minute televised address delivered from the Prime Minister’s Office shortly after the end of Shabbat, Mr. Netanyahu said he had instructed his cabinet secretary to formally request a dissolution motion on Sunday and would urge Knesset Speaker Amir Ohana to schedule a vote on the writ by midweek. Polling stations, he said, would open on July 28, the earliest date permitted under the Basic Law: The Knesset once a dissolution bill is enacted.

“I will not lead a government that cannot pass a budget, cannot ratify a framework and cannot send a delegation to Doha with a mandate the country trusts,” Mr. Netanyahu said, speaking in Hebrew with his cabinet ministers seated in two rows behind him. “I am asking the people of Israel for that mandate directly, and I will accept their verdict.”

The announcement, telegraphed throughout Saturday by leaks from inside the Likud caucus, ends a political stalemate that has consumed the Israeli government for nearly two weeks since National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir and Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu walked out of the coalition on April 27 in protest of the Islamabad ceasefire framework. Their departure left Mr. Netanyahu with a 61-seat working majority that has not held a binding floor vote since.

Talks between the Prime Minister’s Office and the National Unity bloc, led by former defense minister Benny Gantz, broke down late Friday after Mr. Gantz refused to accept a rotation arrangement that would have left Mr. Netanyahu as prime minister through the end of 2026 in exchange for the alternate premiership and the Foreign Ministry. Two officials familiar with the talks, who spoke on condition of anonymity to describe private deliberations, said Mr. Gantz had also demanded a written commitment that Israel would ratify the Doha inspection annex when it returned from technical drafting in Vienna, a step Likud strategists feared would split their own caucus.

“There was no deal on the table that could survive both Likud’s right flank and Gantz’s center,” one of the officials said. “The prime minister chose elections over a humiliation.”

Mr. Gantz, in a brief statement issued from his Tel Aviv office shortly before Mr. Netanyahu’s address, said his bloc had been “prepared to enter an emergency government on the basis of the framework Israel signed, and on no other basis.” He said National Unity would campaign on “completing the post-war stabilization the prime minister has been unable to complete.”

Opposition leader Yair Lapid, addressing supporters in Tel Aviv, called the announcement “the end of a chapter Israel cannot afford to repeat” and urged voters to deliver “a government that does not depend on the most extreme voices in the Knesset for its survival.” A snap Channel 12 survey conducted Friday and Saturday and published minutes before Mr. Netanyahu spoke showed Likud at 24 seats, National Unity at 22, the new Bennett-Saar bloc at 17, Yesh Atid at 14 and Otzma Yehudit at 11, with Mr. Netanyahu unable to assemble a 61-seat right-wing majority on the published results.

The Islamabad framework, which produced the April 15 ceasefire after seven weeks of war with Iran, has scrambled Israeli politics in ways that cut across pre-war alignments. Right-wing voters who broadly supported the war effort have split over the inspection regime now being operationalized in Vienna, with Otzma Yehudit and parts of the religious-Zionist bloc rejecting any United Nations verification role at the Natanz and Fordow sites and Likud’s traditional security establishment accepting the framework as the price of ending the conflict.

“This election is going to be a referendum on the framework, full stop,” said Tamar Hermann, director of the Israel Democracy Institute’s Guttman Center for Public Opinion. “Netanyahu’s bet, as best one can read it, is that the public is exhausted, that Gantz is too closely associated with the technocratic case for the framework, and that he can recover the center by running on a security platform that accepts the ceasefire while pledging to renegotiate the inspection annex. Whether that works is an empirical question that we will have an answer to in eleven weeks.”

In Washington, the White House moved carefully. Press Secretary Marlena Cortez, in a written statement issued late Saturday afternoon Washington time, said President Donald Trump had been briefed on the Israeli political situation and that the United States looked forward to “working with whichever government the Israeli people elect.” A senior State Department official, briefing reporters on condition of anonymity, said Secretary of State Marco Rubio had spoken by phone with Mr. Netanyahu earlier in the day and had been informed of the planned announcement. The official said Washington expected Israel to continue meeting its obligations under the Doha framework “without interruption” during the election period and that the U.S. delegation to the Vienna technical talks would remain in place.

Mediators in Doha and Vienna offered measured public reactions. A spokesperson for the Pakistani Foreign Ministry, which co-chairs the Doha track with Qatar, said the framework “is an agreement between states, not between governments of the day,” and that Pakistan expected “continuity in implementation regardless of any election cycle.” Qatari Foreign Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani, in a statement from Doha, urged “restraint and steadiness from all parties” during the Israeli campaign.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, in remarks carried by the state IRNA news agency, said Tehran would “judge Israel by its delegation in Vienna, not by its electoral noise,” and warned that any unilateral Israeli step to weaken the inspection annex during the campaign would be “treated as a violation, not a campaign promise.”

The election will be the sixth Israeli national vote in less than seven years and is expected to draw heavy outside attention given the unresolved questions over the Iran framework, the still-fragile northern reconstruction effort and the future of the postwar security architecture being negotiated in Marseille and Brussels. Analysts said the campaign would also test the political viability of the new Bennett-Saar bloc, formed in late April from the merger of former prime minister Naftali Bennett’s Yamina-successor faction and former justice minister Gideon Saar’s New Hope, which polled for the first time at double digits this week.

“Netanyahu has won close elections he was not supposed to win before,” said Anshel Pfeffer, an Israeli political columnist who has covered the prime minister for two decades. “He has also lost them. What is unusual this time is that the war ended six weeks ago and the country is still inside the political shock of it. Nobody has run a campaign in that condition.”

Mr. Netanyahu, closing his address, said his caretaker government would “carry the country across this bridge with steady hands” and pledged that Israel would honor its existing obligations to Vienna and Doha through election day. Aides said the prime minister would convene the security cabinet on Sunday morning and meet later in the day with President Isaac Herzog, who under Israeli practice will receive the formal request to dissolve the Knesset.

Coalition lawmakers said they expected the dissolution bill to pass its three required readings before the Knesset rises for its summer recess, with a final vote possibly as early as Wednesday.