Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s governing coalition lost its working majority in the Knesset on Monday after two far-right cabinet ministers resigned in protest of the Islamabad ceasefire framework, plunging Israel into its sharpest political crisis since the start of the Iran war and casting fresh doubt over the country’s posture in the post-war diplomatic track scheduled to resume in Doha later this week.

National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir and Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu submitted joint resignation letters shortly after a stormy security cabinet meeting that broke up at around 1:30 a.m. local time, according to two officials in the prime minister’s office who described the session on condition of anonymity. Their departure, together with the withdrawal of the six Otzma Yehudit lawmakers who follow Mr. Ben-Gvir, leaves the coalition with 61 of the Knesset’s 120 seats — a one-vote margin that government officials privately conceded would not survive any serious legislative test.

The proximate trigger was a draft Israeli position paper, leaked Sunday evening to Channel 12, that signaled the government would accept a United Nations-led verification mechanism at the Natanz, Fordow and Isfahan sites with only consultative, rather than direct, Israeli participation. The leak, which Mr. Netanyahu’s office said was unauthorized and the subject of an internal inquiry, set off the political detonation that ministers had spent the past 11 days trying to defer.

“This is not a peace, it is a permission slip for the regime that built the bombs that fell on our cities,” Mr. Ben-Gvir told reporters outside his Jerusalem residence on Monday morning, flanked by aides loading boxes into a waiting van. “We will not sit in a government that signs away the only achievement of the war.” Mr. Eliyahu, in a separate statement, called the framework “an Iranian victory dressed in Pakistani clothes.”

Mr. Netanyahu, in a televised address from the Prime Minister’s Office shortly before noon, said the framework “protects Israel’s deepest security interests” and accused the departing ministers of “abandoning the country for a headline.” He stopped short of calling early elections, telling viewers that the government would “complete the work of stabilizing the ceasefire, rebuilding the north and bringing every soldier home” before any new vote. Aides said the prime minister had begun outreach to the centrist National Unity bloc led by Benny Gantz, whose 12 seats could provide a safety net while talks continue.

The political shock landed at the start of what was already shaping up as the most consequential week of the post-war phase. Negotiators in Doha are scheduled to resume work on Tuesday under joint Qatari and Pakistani chairmanship, with the question of inspection sequencing — the same issue that helped topple two Israeli ministers — at the top of the agenda. A senior Western diplomat involved in the talks, granted anonymity to discuss sensitive deliberations, said the resignations were “not a surprise, but the timing is awful,” and added that mediators would “find out very quickly whether Netanyahu can deliver what his own paper says he will deliver.”

In Washington, the White House moved cautiously. Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt told reporters that President Donald Trump had spoken briefly with Mr. Netanyahu on Sunday and “reaffirmed the strength of the U.S.-Israel relationship,” declining to comment on the coalition crisis. A senior State Department official said separately that Secretary of State Marco Rubio had instructed the U.S. delegation in Doha to “keep its head down and keep the talks moving” while the Israeli political situation clarified. The official added that Washington still expected an Israeli delegation in Doha on Tuesday, “and we expect them to be empowered to negotiate.”

Iranian officials seized the moment with measured statements. Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, speaking in Tehran at a previously scheduled news conference on humanitarian access, said the resignations confirmed Iran’s long-standing view that “Israel’s extremist factions never wanted this calm and will try to break it.” He stopped short of withdrawing from the Doha track, saying the Islamic Republic would “judge Israel by its delegation, not its tabloids,” but warned that any Israeli backsliding on the inspection framework would be treated as “a unilateral change in the terms.”

Analysts said the practical effect on the Doha talks was likely to be limited in the short term but significant if the coalition crisis dragged on. “Netanyahu can negotiate from a 61-seat government for a week or two,” said Layla Hassan, a Beirut-based regional analyst at the Levant Policy Center. “He cannot ratify anything from one. The mediators know that, and so does Tehran. The real question is whether Gantz comes in on terms that let the framework be sold at home, or whether Israel ends up in an election campaign with the ceasefire as the central issue.”

Markets, which have grown steadily less reactive to Middle East political headlines since the ceasefire took effect, took the news in stride. Brent crude rose 0.4 percent in European trading to $95.80 a barrel before easing back, while the shekel weakened 0.6 percent against the dollar. The Tel Aviv Stock Exchange’s TA-35 index closed down 1.1 percent, its sharpest fall in 10 sessions. “The market is telling you the ceasefire holds and Doha continues, just with more noise,” said Daniel Mizrahi, chief strategist at Migdal Capital Markets in Tel Aviv. “If that reading is wrong, the move will be much bigger.”

Inside Israel, the resignations reopened debates that the war had largely suspended. Opposition leader Yair Lapid, in a Knesset corridor briefing, called for “an immediate dissolution and an election the country can no longer avoid,” while Mr. Gantz told reporters his bloc would consider joining a “national stabilization government” but only on the condition of a formal commission of inquiry into the intelligence failures preceding the war. A senior official in the prime minister’s office said Mr. Netanyahu was prepared to discuss a “structured review” but not a statutory commission, the same line the government has held for two weeks.

By Monday evening, the practical machinery of governance had begun to adjust. The Knesset speaker’s office said a vote of confidence requested by the opposition would be scheduled for Wednesday afternoon, a timetable that gives Mr. Netanyahu roughly 48 hours to either bring Mr. Gantz into the cabinet or persuade his remaining partners that an early election would serve no one. Officials said further announcements on the composition of the Doha delegation and the government’s posture in the week ahead would follow once the political situation was clarified.