OPEC+ to Hold Emergency Session in Vienna Tuesday as Brent Crude Tops $125
5 min read, word count: 1039The OPEC+ secretariat announced Sunday afternoon that energy ministers from the 23-nation alliance will convene an emergency session in Vienna on Tuesday, hours after Brent crude futures pushed past $125 a barrel in early Asian trading and pressure mounted on producers to respond to the escalating Iran conflict.
The benchmark contract traded as high as $126.40 before settling near $124.90 by midmorning Singapore time, extending a rally that has lifted prices more than 38 percent since Israeli and U.S. forces launched strikes against Iranian targets earlier this month. Brent had closed above $119 on Saturday, capping the steepest weekly advance for crude since the early months of the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
Saudi Arabia's energy minister, Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman, said in a statement carried by the official Saudi Press Agency that the kingdom was prepared to "act decisively to ensure the orderly functioning of global energy markets" and would coordinate closely with the United Arab Emirates on any production adjustment. He stopped short of committing to specific barrel figures but signaled that spare capacity could be brought online within weeks if member states reached consensus.
"The kingdom has consistently played a stabilizing role during moments of geopolitical stress, and the present circumstances demand the same responsibility," Prince Abdulaziz said. He confirmed he would travel to Vienna on Monday for pre-meeting consultations with UAE Energy Minister Suhail al-Mazrouei.
The Saudi posture marks a notable shift after months of group discipline aimed at defending a price floor. Two delegates familiar with internal discussions, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the talks were private, said Riyadh and Abu Dhabi had jointly modeled scenarios that would add between 800,000 and 1.4 million barrels a day to global supply, drawing on spare capacity that the International Energy Agency estimates at roughly 3.6 million barrels per day across the alliance.
Russia, OPEC+'s second-largest producer and a longstanding partner of Tehran, appeared considerably more reluctant. Deputy Prime Minister Pavel Sorokin, who oversees the Kremlin's energy portfolio, said Moscow would "approach Tuesday's discussions constructively" but cautioned against what he described as "premature interventions that could destabilize the very markets they seek to calm."
"Russia values the integrity of the OPEC+ framework, and any production decision must reflect the consensus of all members, including those most directly affected by the current security environment," Sorokin told the Interfax news agency. Analysts read the remarks as a signal that Moscow was unlikely to support a large coordinated increase, particularly one that could be perceived as undercutting Iran at a moment of acute pressure on Tehran.
The Iranian oil ministry did not respond to requests for comment Sunday. Industry trackers said Iranian crude exports had fallen sharply over the past ten days as buyers, insurers and tanker operators retreated from cargoes transiting the Strait of Hormuz, where U.S. Navy escort operations and Iranian patrol boat encounters have left commercial shipping intermittently paralyzed.
The disruption has rippled across the broader Gulf. Saudi Aramco notified at least three Asian refiners over the weekend that loadings from Ras Tanura and Yanbu would be delayed by between 36 and 72 hours, citing what the company described as "transit and security-related logistical constraints." A person briefed on Aramco's operations said two stabilization units at the Abqaiq processing complex had been taken offline as a precaution after a drone incident on Friday, trimming output by an estimated 220,000 barrels a day.
The IEA in Paris said it was "actively coordinating" with member governments on the possible release of strategic petroleum reserves and could announce a collective drawdown within 48 hours if the Vienna meeting failed to produce a credible supply response. IEA Executive Director Fatih Birol said the agency was "prepared to use every tool at its disposal" to prevent disorderly price moves from spilling further into the real economy.
"Markets are pricing not just a war premium but a structural risk premium around the Strait of Hormuz," Birol said in remarks to reporters in Paris. "Our member countries hold more than 1.2 billion barrels in emergency stocks, and we will deploy them if and when they are needed."
Analysts were divided on whether the Vienna meeting could meaningfully cap prices. Daan Struyven, head of oil research at Goldman Sachs, said a coordinated Saudi-UAE increase of one million barrels a day, paired with an IEA reserve release of 60 million barrels over two months, could pull Brent back into a $105 to $112 range by midsummer. Without such a response, Struyven said, prices could push toward $145 in a sustained Hormuz disruption.
"The market is telling you very clearly that the existing OPEC+ buffer is not credible if Hormuz is the binding constraint," Struyven said. "Tuesday is less about barrels on paper and more about whether the alliance can still speak with one voice."
Other strategists were more skeptical. Helima Croft of RBC Capital Markets said any production increase would face physical limits given Aramco's reduced run rates and the difficulty of moving additional barrels through Hormuz itself. "You cannot solve a chokepoint problem by pushing more oil through the chokepoint," she said.
The price surge has reverberated through equity and consumer markets. The S&P 500 has fallen 4.3 percent since hostilities began, and Asian equity futures opened sharply lower Sunday evening, with Nikkei 225 contracts down 2.1 percent and Hang Seng futures off 1.8 percent. Retail gasoline prices have climbed above $4.60 a gallon in the United States and above 2.10 euros a liter in much of western Europe, while Egypt's government has ordered most commercial establishments to close by 9 p.m. to conserve fuel and electricity. Kenyan tea exporters reported tens of thousands of tonnes stranded at Mombasa amid surging freight costs.
Officials cautioned that Tuesday's meeting would unfold against a fluid diplomatic backdrop. Turkish-brokered talks in Islamabad involving Saudi, Pakistani, Egyptian, Iranian and U.S. representatives were continuing over the weekend, and any breakthrough on de-escalation could itself reshape the calculus around production. For now, traders said, the market was bracing for further volatility when futures resumed full trading Monday morning.
Note: This article was partially constructed using data from LLM.