KYIV — Russian armored elements probed the new Ukrainian fortification line approximately fifteen kilometers west of Pokrovsk in three locations Friday morning, the first such probes since Russian forces consolidated their hold on the Donetsk logistics hub earlier this week, according to Ukrainian general staff briefings and open-source geolocation analysts who reviewed combat footage posted to Russian Telegram channels.

The probes, which the Ukrainian general staff characterized as “reconnaissance in force” rather than full-scale offensive operations, involved company-strength armored detachments supported by drone and electronic-warfare coverage, with infantry transported in armored personnel carriers in two of the three locations. Ukrainian defending forces engaged the probes with anti-tank guided missiles, drone-dropped munitions, and pre-registered artillery fires from positions on the new line.

A Ukrainian general staff spokesperson said at the morning briefing that the probes had been stopped short of the fortification line in all three locations and that the defending units had recorded the destruction of at least seven Russian armored vehicles, including three main battle tanks identified as T-72B3 variants. The spokesperson said two Ukrainian soldiers had been wounded in the engagements and that no defensive positions had been compromised.

The new fortification line, which Ukrainian engineers and combat-engineering troops have been constructing since late April using designs derived from the Surovikin Line on the Zaporizhzhia front, runs roughly north-to-south through the towns of Hryshyne, Pokrovsk-Donetsk junction, and Zelene Pole. Satellite imagery published this week by commercial providers showed the line as a continuous belt of anti-tank ditches, dragon’s-teeth obstacles, and pre-prepared infantry positions, with engineering work continuing on rearward sections.

Ukrainian military officials have described the second line as substantially more developed than the defensive positions that surrounded Pokrovsk in its final weeks, reflecting both the lessons learned from the Pokrovsk fight and the additional time Ukrainian engineers have had to prepare the position. A senior Ukrainian engineering officer, in a background briefing earlier this week, said the new line had been built with the assumption that Russian armored advances after Pokrovsk would proceed at the same operational tempo and that Ukrainian defenders would need to absorb the first Russian assault on the line without yielding ground.

Russian military commentary on the probes, published in milblogger Telegram channels during the morning, described the operations as “tactical exploration” intended to identify weaknesses in the Ukrainian line for use in planning a larger offensive operation. Several Russian commentators expressed concern about the rate at which the Ukrainian line had been consolidated, with one prominent commentator noting that the fortification appeared more developed than the analogous line had been at the corresponding stage in the post-Avdiivka period.

The Ukrainian general staff said the broader operational pattern across the eastern front had remained consistent with the past week, with Russian forces consolidating their hold on Pokrovsk through urban-clearance operations in the city’s western districts and conducting limited offensive operations on the flanks of the salient. The northern and southern flanks of the Pokrovsk advance, the staff said, had seen Russian probing operations of similar character to the western probes, all of which had been engaged short of Ukrainian defensive positions.

The European Union’s continued movement toward adoption of the Russian-assets windfall package at the May twenty-seventh council session was referenced in the Ukrainian president’s morning address. The president said the windfall package would provide “the financial complement to the engineering work being completed on the new lines” and that the disbursement of windfall proceeds would directly support Ukrainian fortification, drone procurement, and air-defense replenishment.

A senior European defense official, asked in Brussels Friday morning about the Pokrovsk situation, said the EU’s air-defense surge announced at the May eighth Ramstein contact group meeting was on schedule for completion by the end of the second quarter, with the bulk of additional Patriot and IRIS-T launchers deployed to forward Ukrainian positions by mid-June. The official said the deployment was designed to coincide with what European planners assess will be the period of greatest Russian offensive pressure on the new fortification line.

The U.S. defense secretary, in remarks to the Senate Armed Services Committee earlier this week, characterized the post-Pokrovsk situation as “an operational pause whose duration we cannot predict” but said the Defense Department’s planning assumption was that Russian forces would attempt a renewed offensive within thirty to sixty days of consolidating Pokrovsk. The secretary said the U.S. munitions package included in the war supplemental signed Friday morning included substantial deliveries to Ukraine on a timeline calibrated to that planning assumption.

Russian foreign ministry commentary on the probes referenced them only obliquely in a Friday-morning briefing, with the spokesperson saying that operations in the special military operation zone were “proceeding according to plan” and that no further details would be provided. Ukrainian president’s office officials, asked about the day’s engagements, said the priority would remain on maintaining the integrity of the new line “while imposing the maximum possible cost on adversary forces in the period before the next major offensive cycle.”