Russian troops enter eastern Pokrovsk as Ukraine orders staged withdrawal from Donetsk logistics hub
6 min read, word count: 1225KYIV — Russian assault units crossed the eastern outskirts of Pokrovsk in force on Friday, prompting Ukraine’s General Staff to announce a phased withdrawal from the long-contested Donetsk region logistics hub and acknowledging that the city, defended at heavy cost for more than two years, could no longer be held under its current configuration.
The decision, communicated to Western capitals shortly before President Volodymyr Zelenskiy addressed the nation Friday evening, marks the most significant Ukrainian territorial concession since the fall of Avdiivka in February 2024 and the clearest evidence yet that the six-week slowdown in Western deliveries during the Iran war translated into measurable losses on the eastern front. Pokrovsk, a rail and road junction of roughly 60,000 prewar residents, has served as the rear base for Ukrainian operations along a 60-kilometer stretch of the Donetsk axis and was the last major logistics node west of Avdiivka still under Kyiv’s full control.
Col. Gen. Oleksandr Syrskyi, the Ukrainian commander-in-chief, said in a video statement that troops would consolidate on a “second defensive belt” running through the towns of Hryshyne, Novoekonomichne and Myrnohrad, six to eight kilometers west of the current line, over the course of “the coming days.” He stressed that the maneuver was “planned and ordered, not improvised,” and that Ukrainian forces had inflicted what he called “the heaviest weekly losses of the year” on Russian assault formations during the approach to the city.
“This is a tactical adjustment, not a strategic defeat,” Syrskyi said. “The defense of the Donetsk region continues. But we will not pour our soldiers into ruins where the geometry no longer favors them.”
Zelenskiy, addressing the country at 9 p.m. local time, did not use the word “withdrawal” but spoke of “reorganizing the front so that it costs the enemy more and us less.” He repeated his now-familiar refrain that European decisions reached Ukrainian trenches only after they reached Ukrainian trucks. “What did not arrive in March and April is arriving now,” he said. “It will hold the new line. It could not save the old one.”
The fall of eastern Pokrovsk had been forecast for more than a week by both Ukrainian and Western analysts after Russian forces drew within three kilometers of the city in late April. According to the Ukrainian General Staff, Russian troops crossed the eastern industrial belt on Friday morning under cover of glide-bomb strikes and at least three reinforced battalion-tactical-group probes, and by mid-afternoon were engaged in close combat in the eastern administrative district. The General Staff said it had destroyed two pontoon crossings over a tributary of the Vovcha River south of the city to slow follow-on Russian armor.
“The math caught up with the map,” said Mykola Bielieskov, a Kyiv-based military analyst at the National Institute for Strategic Studies, in a telephone interview. “Six weeks of slowed interceptor flow, six weeks of glide bombs unmolested, six weeks of European factories running below the rate they needed to run at. The result was always going to be a town.”
European reaction was swift but tinged with the discomfort of officials who have spent two weeks acknowledging that the Iran war’s diversion of munitions and political attention had imposed a price somewhere. EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas, in a statement issued from Brussels Friday evening, said the bloc would convene an extraordinary meeting of foreign ministers on Monday in Luxembourg to consider an accelerated air-defense and artillery package. “We owe Ukraine clarity about what arrives next, and when,” she said.
In Berlin, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz convened a late-evening meeting of the security cabinet and announced that two additional IRIS-T units, previously scheduled for August delivery, would be released to Ukraine “without further conditions” by the end of May. Defense Minister Boris Pistorius said the Bundeswehr would also accelerate the transfer of a long-range surveillance radar already promised under the April 30 EU tranche. Paris, in a brief statement from the Élysée, said France would dispatch an additional Mamba battery and would expand the training of Ukrainian air-defense crews at Mourmelon.
The Trump administration’s response was more restrained. In a brief written statement, the White House said President Donald Trump had been briefed and that the United States “supports the Ukrainian decision to preserve its forces.” Secretary of State Marco Rubio, speaking to reporters at the State Department, said Washington would continue to provide intelligence and logistics support and would “consult closely” with European partners on next steps. Rubio declined to commit to an additional U.S. military assistance tranche, saying decisions on that file would be made “in due course.” House Speaker Mike Johnson, asked whether a Ukraine supplemental could move before Memorial Day, repeated his earlier position that the Iran reconstruction supplemental remained the chamber’s first order of business.
Moscow, by contrast, treated the day as a political event. Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov, in an unusually long midday briefing, claimed Russian forces had “liberated” the eastern districts of what Russian state media has begun to call by its Soviet-era name, Krasnoarmiisk. Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said the developments “demonstrate the futility of Western escalation” and called on Kyiv to “draw the obvious conclusions.” Russian state television interrupted afternoon programming with a special bulletin from a correspondent on the city’s eastern edge.
Western officials cautioned against reading the day’s events as the prelude to a broader collapse. A senior NATO official, speaking on condition of anonymity to describe alliance assessments, said Ukrainian forces had executed the staged withdrawal “in good order” and that the second defensive belt around Hryshyne and Myrnohrad was “well prepared and well supplied,” with the European Peace Facility’s late-April tranche having begun to arrive at front-line air-defense units over the past 10 days. The official added that Ukrainian losses, while significant, were “an order of magnitude” lower than Russian losses over the same period.
“What we are seeing is the cost of the lag, paid in territory rather than in lines on a chart,” said Marta Kepe, a defense analyst at a London-based research institute. “Whether it stops at Pokrovsk depends on whether the new pace of deliveries holds for the rest of the spring. If it does, the Russians take a town and a propaganda victory. If it slips again, they take more.”
In Pokrovsk itself, regional officials said the civilian evacuation, ordered in March and steadily expanded through April, was now in its final phase. Donetsk regional governor Vadym Filashkin said roughly 1,400 residents remained in the city as of Friday morning, down from a wartime peak of more than 50,000, and that buses would run “until the last family that wishes to leave has left.” Filashkin, speaking to Ukrainian television from Pavlohrad, said municipal workers had begun transferring archives, school records and pension files to a temporary administrative center in Dnipro.
NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte, speaking at alliance headquarters after a late-afternoon video conference with defense ministers, said the alliance would expand air-policing rotations along Romania’s Black Sea coast and that consultations on a longer-term munitions production framework would be accelerated. He declined to characterize the day as a turning point. “Wars are not made of single days,” he said. “They are made of what comes after them.”
Ukrainian officials said additional details on the second defensive belt’s force composition would be released in the coming days as units completed their repositioning.
Note: This article was partially constructed using data from LLM.