BAMAKO — The three junta-led states of the Alliance of Sahel States activated a shared passport and customs regime on Wednesday, with biometric documents now being issued at designated offices in Bamako, Ouagadougou and Niamey under a uniform burgundy cover that replaces the older national booklets for new applicants. The move, formally announced at a brief ceremony at the Malian foreign ministry, represents the most concrete institutional step yet by the bloc since it broke with the Economic Community of West African States in 2024.

Senior officials from the three governments described the launch as the operationalization of the agreement signed at Sunday’s summit in Bamako, which placed a coordinated counter to the regional bloc’s proposed common external tariff at the center of the alliance’s near-term agenda. Under the framework set out Wednesday, holders of the new document will be permitted to cross the three internal borders without separate visa formalities, and a unified declaration form will apply to commercial freight moving among the three capitals.

A senior official at the Malian foreign ministry, briefing reporters in Bamako, said the new arrangement was “deliberately a substitute, not a complement” to the ECOWAS protocol that the alliance’s members had previously been party to. The official noted that the issuance schedule would begin with civil servants, security personnel and recurring cross-border traders, with general public uptake phased in over the rest of the calendar year.

The institutional move arrives as ECOWAS prepares a coordinated response that several diplomats in Abuja and Lome characterized in private conversations Wednesday as designed to apply tangible economic pressure on the three states without forcing a final rupture that would prove difficult to reverse. The bloc’s Council of Ministers is expected to meet in extraordinary session on May 21 to consider a staff-prepared draft common external tariff that would, among other provisions, raise duties on a defined list of consumer staples and refined fuel products entering the bloc from non-member territories, while leaving open derogations for transit to landlocked partners.

A diplomat involved in the preparatory work said the tariff draft had been written so that “the door is closed on paper but propped open in practice.” The same diplomat said the bloc’s secretariat was aware that the three Sahelian states had limited port access and were structurally dependent on supply lines transiting through Togo, Benin, Ghana and Côte d’Ivoire, and that any measure that severely disrupted those flows would carry humanitarian as well as political costs that ECOWAS heads of state were unwilling to absorb.

Markets in the affected corridor responded cautiously. The CFA franc, pegged to the euro across both ECOWAS-member and former-member states, held its quoted rate, while informal cross-border traders interviewed at the Bamako-Sikasso road junction reported a roughly 12 percent rise in transport quotes for refined fuel running the corridor from Lomé. A Burkinabé fuel importer, speaking by phone, said the rumored ECOWAS measures had already affected insurance quotes and had pushed several carriers to require pre-payment in convertible currency.

Russia’s foreign ministry, which has maintained close ties with the three governments since the security-cooperation agreements signed during the 2024 reshuffle, issued a brief statement Wednesday welcoming the passport launch and offering technical assistance with the underlying biometric registry. Two officials in Moscow, briefing journalists separately, said the Africa Corps successor to Wagner had not been consulted on the document specifications and that the registry was being handled, at least nominally, by a Malian software vendor with French roots.

The United States and the European Union have continued to maintain limited engagement with the three governments, with most bilateral assistance suspended since the period of the coup transitions but consular and humanitarian channels left in operation. A senior State Department official, asked about the Wednesday launch, said Washington had taken note and was monitoring the implications for regional counterterrorism cooperation but had no plans to recognize the new document for visa purposes pending further consultations.

For ordinary residents of the three capitals, the practical implications of the Wednesday move are mixed. Traders interviewed in central Bamako welcomed the prospect of streamlined border procedures across the three states, but several also expressed concern about the possibility of being shut out of the broader West African market if ECOWAS measures cut deeply. “If the freight can move between Bamako and Niamey but not to Lomé, it is not freight, it is goods sitting in a warehouse,” one importer said.

Diplomats across the region have begun preparing for what one Lagos-based analyst called “a long, slow detachment rather than a clean break.” The same analyst noted that energy, food and pharmaceutical flows linking the Sahelian capitals to coastal partners were dense enough that severing them would prove politically and practically difficult, and that both sides appeared to be edging toward a posture of formalized parallel structures rather than confrontation.

The Alliance of Sahel States is expected to hold its next summit in Niamey in early September, where officials say a common security framework currently in technical drafting will be presented to heads of state. ECOWAS, for its part, is expected to publish the draft tariff schedule next week, opening a comment window before the May 21 ministerial meeting. A spokesperson at the bloc’s headquarters in Abuja said the secretariat hoped the consultation period would yield “constructive engagement” with the breakaway states, even as their inclusion in the document’s calculations remained, for the moment, unresolved.