Senate report pegs Iran war cost at $218 billion, faulting Pentagon oversight
4 min read, word count: 959A bipartisan Senate Armed Services Committee report released Saturday placed the total direct U.S. cost of the six-week Iran war at $218 billion, a figure that exceeds initial White House estimates by more than 40 percent and is already reshaping the early-summer fight over the Pentagon’s supplemental budget request.
The 184-page report, the most detailed accounting yet of an air and naval campaign that ended with the April 15 ceasefire, found that munitions expenditures alone accounted for $74 billion, dominated by the rapid depletion of standard missile inventories aboard U.S. destroyers in the Red Sea and the eastern Mediterranean. Replenishment contracts signed under emergency authorities in March and April will not deliver full restocks until at least the third quarter of 2027, the report concluded.
“The committee finds that the Department of Defense entered this conflict with munitions stockpiles that were materially below the levels assumed in its own war plans, and that emergency procurement actions taken to backfill those stockpiles were executed with insufficient competition and inadequate documentation,” the report stated in its opening summary.
Senator Margaret Reilly of Iowa, the committee’s Republican chair, said at a Capitol Hill briefing that the findings were endorsed by all but two of the panel’s 26 members. “This is not a partisan accounting. The numbers are the numbers,” Reilly said. “What the American people are owed is an honest reckoning of how a campaign that the administration projected at $150 billion ended up closer to a quarter trillion, and what we are going to do to make sure the next one is not worse.”
The report drew on classified briefings from U.S. Central Command, the Defense Logistics Agency and the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, and was accompanied by a 47-page unclassified annex listing specific contract anomalies. Among them: a $1.9 billion sole-source award to a Texas-based propellant supplier whose only previous Pentagon contract had been valued at $38 million, and a series of cost-plus aviation fuel deliveries to forward bases in Jordan and the United Arab Emirates that the report said were priced at “between 28 and 41 percent above prevailing market rates for the relevant weeks.”
The Defense Department, in a four-page written response appended to the report, accepted 19 of the panel’s 23 findings while contesting four. Deputy Defense Secretary Richard Halloran said in a statement that the department “fully shares the committee’s commitment to disciplined stewardship” but added that “wartime acquisition cannot and should not be measured against peacetime benchmarks.” Halloran said an internal review of the contested contracts, ordered last week, would be completed by August.
The fiscal toll is one strand of a wider political reckoning over an intervention that, while it ended with a ceasefire most Americans say they support, claimed an estimated 412 U.S. service members killed and more than 1,800 wounded, according to figures the Pentagon released late last week. Public approval of President Donald Trump’s handling of the war stood at 49 percent in a Gallup survey published Friday, down from 56 percent at the moment of the ceasefire announcement but still well above his pre-war numbers.
On Capitol Hill, the report immediately sharpened a clash over the $94 billion defense supplemental the administration sent to Congress last Tuesday, which includes $61 billion for munitions replenishment, $14 billion for ship repair and $9 billion for veterans’ medical care tied to the war. Senator Tomas Velasquez, a Texas Democrat who sits on the Armed Services panel, told reporters he would seek to condition the munitions tranche on a new inspector general office for wartime procurement. “We are not going to write a check this size and walk away from the lessons,” Velasquez said.
Hyun-jin Park, a senior fellow at the Stimson Center, said the $218 billion figure was likely to be a floor rather than a ceiling once indirect costs are tallied. “What this report explicitly excludes is the long-tail burden — disability benefits, depot-level maintenance, the cost of replacing aircraft that were used hard for six weeks but not lost in combat,” Park said. “Historically those numbers, integrated over decades, run between 60 and 90 percent of the direct figure. We are likely looking at a real total above $350 billion before this is finished.”
The report devoted a separate chapter to the campaign’s most expensive single operation, the April 3 strike package against hardened sites near Natanz and Fordow, which the panel said cost roughly $4.1 billion in munitions and aviation fuel for a single 11-hour window. The chapter, much of it redacted, concluded that the strikes “achieved or exceeded planning objectives” but noted that bomb-damage assessments are still being reconciled with International Atomic Energy Agency monitoring data that began flowing under the post-ceasefire framework.
Allied contributions remain a separate line item. The committee said the United Kingdom, France, Australia and a half-dozen Gulf partners had so far committed $11.4 billion in cost-sharing pledges, of which $3.2 billion had been transferred. A Treasury Department official, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss ongoing negotiations, said that “the bulk of the European tranche is expected to clear by the end of the third quarter, contingent on parliamentary action in two capitals.”
Reilly said the committee would hold its first open hearing on the report Wednesday, with Halloran and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs, General Eliana Vasquez, scheduled to testify. A second classified session, focused on intelligence-cycle costs, is expected next week.
Senate aides briefed on the supplemental said floor consideration could begin as early as May 12, with leadership in both parties privately predicting passage by the end of the month, though almost certainly in modified form. Officials said further oversight measures, including the proposed wartime procurement inspector general, would be debated in committee markup later this week.
Note: This article was partially constructed using data from LLM.