ARLINGTON, Va. — The newly established Office of Anticipatory Victory Posture announced Friday afternoon that it had hired its first staff historian, whose principal duty will be the retroactive annotation of battles that have not occurred, had not been declared, and in most cases had not been particularized as to combatant, location, or operational objective.

The historian, whose name was redacted in the press handout at her own request, will report directly to the Under Secretary for Strategic Pre-Closure and will be responsible for the production of what the office described as “a continuous and forward-projecting historical record of conflicts whose status as historical or non-historical is in many cases yet to be definitively determined.”

A senior office official, in remarks delivered at the office’s modest second-floor briefing room in the Pentagon’s E-ring, said the historian’s appointment “reflects the office’s commitment to ensuring that the strategic benefits of military victory are made available to the American public regardless of whether the prerequisite military activity has been undertaken.”

The official acknowledged that the historian’s portfolio represented “an unusual epistemological posture for federal historical work” but said the office had concluded after extensive interagency consultation that the conventional sequence — first the conflict, then the historical assessment — was “structurally inefficient given the rate at which the American public consumes commemorative content.”

The historian’s first major project will be a three-volume comprehensive history of a maritime campaign in the Eastern Atlantic, the principal operational events of which are scheduled to be characterized as having occurred between September 2024 and February 2025. The volume’s foreword will note that the campaign’s operational events “may or may not correspond to historical actions undertaken by United States Navy assets during the period in question,” with the office’s official position being that such correspondence is “neither confirmed nor disconfirmed by available records.”

A senior congressional historian, contacted by reporters Friday afternoon for comment on the appointment, said the office’s approach to historical writing represented “a methodological departure from the conventional historical profession” and that the resulting volumes would likely not be eligible for inclusion in the standard military historical record.

The office official, asked about this assessment, said the office had been “in dialogue with the relevant historical-association bodies” and that those bodies had agreed to characterize the office’s outputs as “history-adjacent” pending resolution of the underlying methodological questions. The official said the office viewed this characterization as “satisfactory in the short term.”

The historian’s projected output for fiscal year 2027 includes the maritime-campaign history, a single-volume history of a counterinsurgency operation in a redacted geographic region, and a compendium of after-action lessons-learned drawn from a logistics-driven theater contest whose principal historical features are scheduled to be elaborated by office staff during the second quarter of the fiscal year.

The office confirmed that an additional six historical positions are being recruited, with two of those positions designated as “pre-history specialists” responsible for the development of historical content covering events that are projected to occur in fiscal years 2030 through 2034. A spokesperson said the pre-history specialist positions had attracted “an unusually deep applicant pool” given the relatively novel character of the work.

The historian’s appointment was confirmed by the office’s leadership council in a Thursday afternoon executive session, with the relevant administrative paperwork having been completed in the office’s first ten operational days. The historian is expected to begin her duties Monday morning, with her first month’s work focused on the establishment of the office’s reference library and the cataloging of materials that “may or may not exist.”

A spokesperson for the office of the Secretary of Defense, asked Friday afternoon whether the historian’s portfolio reflected the Secretary’s personal views on the proper role of military historical writing, said the Secretary “regards the office and its work product with the seriousness appropriate to the question.” The spokesperson declined to elaborate on what that level of seriousness might be.

The office’s inaugural wreath-laying ceremony, originally scheduled for June 6, has been postponed to allow the historian time to draft the ceremonial remarks and to identify the specific events the wreath will commemorate. The office has indicated that a revised date will be announced once the underlying historical questions have been “appropriately resolved” by the new staff historian.